Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • energymike
    • Nov 2013

vB5 .0.5 new install by non computer ree

I have spent the last while trying to understand vB ,, I am not a techi and its all a new language to me, I've asked some questions, mostly dumb.
    I have put myself under some tension while finding out about the security issues,
    I am using KeePass to generate and control all passwords, the file is held on a stick , with a backup stick.
    yesterday I uploaded. Just to check here is what I did.
    I wanted vB in a sub directory, so using filezille, I uploaded the whole of the upload folder, then using my hosting guys upload software (it only handles 5 meg) I was able to rename upload to my chosen name.
    I then installed, then deleted all the files in the install folder,
    then using my hosting guys ( Hetzner) software (I'm told it simply automates the .htaccess process) I locked, admincp , then opend the core directory and locked admincp, includes, packages, and vb folders,, using the same name but with a different password for each folder..
    I dont know how to move the attachments outside of the root directory, but hope to find out.
    I am able to access the forum and have turned it off while I now proceed further, I have also closed membership.
    Is this all OK .
    is there anything I should undo, and anything else I should do.????
    Thanks
    from warm and sunny Cape Town
    Mike
    Last edited by energymike; Wed 2 Dec '15, 6:24am.