X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shatter Studios
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

I, like many others, absolutely cannot get vB5 to install. HELP

I have spent the better part of two days now trying to solve this issue, I have spoken with my host; HostGator, numerous times. I have also created support tickets but the responses that I receive tell me nothing different than the sticky's at the top of this forum. I have changed the config.php files both under the /upload/ folder as well as the /upload/core/include/install/ folders. Some of the lines of code it says to switch, regarding baseurl path, simply are not in the files I downloaded.

Frustration is hitting a tipping point. My host meets the minimum requirements for supporting vB5 and I have done everything asked of me to install this correctly.
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

The config file in the root directory usually doesn't need any edits (despite it being renamed). You only have to edit (and rename) the config file in the core/includes directory. There at least your database info has to be inserted.

Do you get any errors when you run the installation script?

Comment

• Shatter Studios
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.6.x

Why does it tell me I need to upload the server.php file into the /core/ folder then? And when I copy and paste the location of the server.php which is going to be something like /username/public_html/vb5/core/server.php where do i put the /home/username/public_html/vb5 in the code listed below? Everything after the ['core_path'] = ??

// Assumes default location of core.
      // These are the system paths and folders for your vBulletin files
      // This setting is for where your vbulletin core folder is
      $config['core_path'] = realpath(dirname(__FILE__)) . '/core';

// This is the url and web based path to your core directory
      $config['baseurl_core'] = $config['baseurl'] . '/core';

Comment

• TLMD
        • Sep 2012
        • 5.6.X

What version of vB 5 are you trying to install?

This:

// This is the url and web based path to your core directory
        $config['baseurl_core'] = $config['baseurl'] . '/core';
        shouldn't even be in your config file (root directory) anymore.

Comment

• Shatter Studios
          • Aug 2006
          • 3.6.x

The most recent one.

Comment

• TLMD
            • Sep 2012
            • 5.6.X

The easiest way to do a fresh installation of vB 5.0.4 is:
            • Download the newest vB5 release from the members' area. Unpack the archive and go to the upload folder.
            • Rename the config file in the root directory. No edits in that file are necessary.
            • Rename the config file in the core/includes directory. After that this file needs to be edited (database info etc.)!
            • Upload all files to your server/webspace/whatever and browse to core/install/install.php.
            • Follow the installation instructions.
            • Delete the install directory in the core folder after the installation has finished.

Did you do it that way?

Comment

• Shatter Studios
              • Aug 2006
              • 3.6.x

Finally got it to work. Thank you for your help. Yea, the combination of sticky's and what people at the help desk were emailing me made for one hell of a confusing install. You need to just go ahead and scrap everything in the sticky's and put exactly what you just responded to me with. Would help a lot of people in the future.

Also, I originally bought vBulletin for $85.00 back when it was vB3. Why the massive increase in price? And the fact you guys didn't even give me the option for upgrade makes me a little disgruntled.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

You should have had an upgrade option for $209. The full price is $249.

I never saw VB3 at $85 personally. When I bought VB3 in 2008 a 1 year "lease" was $100 and a lifetime license was like $159 or something like that.

These days we only sell lifetime licenses - there are no leases- they were terrible values anyway.

Also in the VB3 days you had to pay like $60 a year to get future updates. In the new licenses all updates for that major version are included- you will never have to pay again to get another 5.x version, even if it goes to 5.9.999 (which it won't, but if it did..)

Finally, there early adopter discounts which could have save additional money had you upgraded earlier.

Yes, prices did go up, but not by all that much... The price of everything has gone up since 2005/6/7.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Shatter Studios
                  Finally got it to work. Thank you for your help. Yea, the combination of sticky's and what people at the help desk were emailing me made for one hell of a confusing install. You need to just go ahead and scrap everything in the sticky's and put exactly what you just responded to me with. Would help a lot of people in the future.

Also, I originally bought vBulletin for $85.00 back when it was vB3. Why the massive increase in price? And the fact you guys didn't even give me the option for upgrade makes me a little disgruntled.
                  $85 was a leased license...you had to pay that EVERY year. (And I know, because I did, for years).

Modern licenses are much better value.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment