X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • encryption
    • May 2005

Upgrading from vBulletin 4.2.1 to 5.0.4 - Backend Already Exists

Hello,

As the subject of the thread, I am in the process of upgrading my forum and have edited my config.php file from 4.2.1 to the one in 5.0.4 but after entering my Customer number, it gives me the error "Warning backend already exists."

Any ideas why it's reaching this page not going straight through the upgrade process?

EDIT: To add more information, I did rename to config.php and manually entered the db info in the file but it still gives that error.
    Last edited by encryption; Fri 6 Sep '13, 8:16am.
    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)
  • encryption
    • May 2005

Bump - any help on this?

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

I'd suggest reuploading all of the files again, and making sure your vB4 files, are not mixed in with the vB5 files.

Comment

• encryption
        • May 2005

Zachery,

I've done that twice already, each time I've either edited the config.php file and uploaded it or just uploaded the files as in the "uploads" folder and tried to run the install, both times it gives me that error.

Comment

• TLMD
          • Sep 2012
          • 5.6.X

Have you renamed both config files that vB5 uses?

What happens, if you import your database content (backup) into a new vB 4.2.1 installation and then upgrade this to vB5?

Comment

• encryption
            • May 2005

Hi TLMD

I didn't know there were two, I only renamed the one in includes folder. Currently I have only one vb 4.2.1 DB and I cant place a "new" copy into MySQL because there isn't enough room in /var so I have to live with migrating the existing one to 5.0.4.

Comment

• TLMD
              • Sep 2012
              • 5.6.X

There is a config file in the root directory of vB5 that has to be renamed to config.php. Usually this file doesn't require any editing, but it has to be renamed. The other config.php is located in core/includes and requires your database info etc.

Comment