Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragonhelm
    • Feb 2010

Upgrading from vBulletin 4.0.4 to 5.0.0

I am working on upgrading from an old install of vBulletin 4.0.4 to the 5.0.0 Beta. I have the new forum set up already, but I need to move the database. I have a very basic understanding of databases, so please keep that in mind.

Just wondering how different the database structure is and what I need to keep in mind.

Also, what files do I need to port over from the old install?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate your time.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Your new forum being setup is pretty useless, if you want the old data. If you want the old data, you need to migrate the database, and upgrade to the current version.

Comment

• Dragonhelm
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Zachery
      Your new forum being setup is pretty useless, if you want the old data. If you want the old data, you need to migrate the database, and upgrade to the current version.
      So that was my question. I'm planning on moving the database over. What I'm concerned with is the difference in database structure.

If the tables are exactly the same, I'm in business. But if there are changes, then I have work to do.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Sorry, If I wasn't clear, you can't keep your new install, and use the old data.You need to use the old data, and upgrade it.If you care about the old data.

Even, if the structure was the same, you importing it will kill the old install, and nwo you've completely destroyed your database.

Comment

• Dragonhelm
          • Feb 2010

Okay, so this isn't like WordPress, where you can export your database then port it over to a new install.

(And I just realized I probably have this in the wrong forum. Sorry about that.)

So let me expand on the situation. While I own the forums, a friend of mine actually bought the license for the software. He has since moved on to other things, so I tried to do the honorable thing by purchasing a license for vBulletin 5, which I have installed. Here are the links.

Old forums: http://dragonlanceforums.com/forums/index.php

New forums: http://dragonlancenexus.com/forums/

The old forums are hosted by Real Web Host. I keep having bandwidth problems with them, and would like to move the forums. The new forums are set up on GoDaddy. I am also having a terrible time with spammers registering fake accounts. I added another layer of human verification, and that has helped.So something has to change.

The old data is very important to me. There is a lot of great discussion and ideas over the years.

So how do I move the forums and update them to a newer, safer version?

Comment