X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimMM
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

Adsense ads showing up anywhere at random

We have just signed up and been approved for Adsense ads. So far so good, but the ad modules we've placed on pages in desired locations using Site Builder in ver 5.3.4 don't seem to have any affect. It appears Google is placing ads wherever they please and never where we've put the Ad Modules containing the code they gave us. Is the placement on forum pages controlled in vB somehow or completely up to Google? I'm not sure what purpose the Ad Module in Site Builder serves with regard to Adsense.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You should be using vBulletin 5.4.1 for the best experience. The Ad Modules contain the code and with a default style they aren't placed "Randomly".

How are you implementing your Ad Sense? What are the specific steps you are undertaking to place an ad on the screen.

What is the link to view the described behavior?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• glennrocksvb
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

It looks like you have Google Adsense 'auto ads' that automatically place ads through machine learning. Here's more info:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/21/go...ation-choices/

And here's the discussion in Adsense Help forum on how to stop the auto ads.

https://productforums.google.com/for...se/dQgnENvdyYY

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• JimMM
        • Aug 2006
        • 3.6.x

Thanks for the link the auto ads were messing up the page layout. One banner was between the nav and sub nav menu separating them.

Comment

• Mrs.T
          • Nov 2007
          • 6.0.X

Auto ads are awful. They messed up our "between posts" ads putting one between every single post. It was Glenn who helped me work out what was wrong.

We hadn't even chosen auto ads for our forum but when we tried them on another site the settings in our Google AdSense account automatically added them to ALL sites - you have to specifically set them up for individual sites and it isn't easy to find where! So do beware.

I've seen so many sites ruined by auto ads plastered all over them. Plus they go again AdSense own policy of no more than 3 ad units per page.
          Last edited by Mrs.T; Tue 22 May '18, 10:11pm. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

• JimMM
            • Aug 2006
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle
            Auto ads are awful. They messed up our "between posts" ads putting one between every single post. It was Glenn who helped me work out what was wrong.

We hadn't even chosen auto ads for our forum but when we tried them on another site the settings in our Google AdSense account automatically added them to ALL sites - you have to specifically set them up for individual sites and it isn't easy to find where! So do beware.

I've seen so many sites ruined by auto ads plastered all over them. Plus they go again AdSense own policy of no more than 3 ad units per page.
            Evidently something new, we didn't know about it until recently. Thanks for the warning. Looks like we need to tread carefully! What I still don't get is how to specify where the ads should appear. We used both the Ad module and html module in Site Builder, inserting the code google sent us, but of all places those module placements are the very locations on the page where ads *don't* show up, so obviously we'r doing something wrong and I don't know how to fix it.

Comment

• Mrs.T
              • Nov 2007
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by JimMM

Evidently something new, we didn't know about it until recently. Thanks for the warning. Looks like we need to tread carefully! What I still don't get is how to specify where the ads should appear. We used both the Ad module and html module in Site Builder, inserting the code google sent us, but of all places those module placements are the very locations on the page where ads *don't* show up, so obviously we'r doing something wrong and I don't know how to fix it.
              We use the ad modules without problem. Might be worth checking what permissions you have set for them. You might have set them so you as admin don't see them perhaps? You can also set what type of device they show on, so again check you haven't done them for say, mobile, but you're looking on desktop.

Comment

• JimMM
                • Aug 2006
                • 3.6.x

We use the ad modules without problem. Might be worth checking what permissions you have set for them. You might have set them so you as admin don't see them perhaps? You can also set what type of device they show on, so again check you haven't done them for say, mobile, but you're looking on desktop.
                Thanks for the suggestions. I have permissions set for all User Groups. All devices selected. Auto seems to have calmed down somewhat so we're holding steady. Appreciate the interest and help.

Comment

• JimMM
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 3.6.x

I couldn’t find a way to shut off auto ads so I just move all the on/off slide switches to off. I went back to My Ads and created a placement ad script and pasted into an ad module in a side column. The incontentars eventually disappeared but nothing ever appeared where I put the ad module.

Hope you and Glenn can help us. I followed the directions in the link Glenn provided but I think Googlemight have changed somethings since those messages were posted. There’s specific help for Wordpress on Adsense but none for vB. We’re using. 5.3.4. Don’t want to go to 5.1 as suggested earlier.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

There is nothing on Adsense and vBulletin 5 because there isn't any special handling needed for their standard ads. The software wouldn't support their Auto Ads. This topic is the first that I have heard about it. However, the Ad modules are agnostic. You paste in the code, save the ad module, and it should appear if the ad server provides content to appear.

You want to use "Ad Units". This allows you to show the ads where you place the code. Read here: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6002575

When you get the code from Google, you would put that in your ad module and the ad should appear if your site is authorized to show ads within your Google Adsense account.
                    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 25 May '18, 3:01pm.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mrs.T
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 6.0.X

I couldn’t find a way to shut off auto ads so I just move all the on/off slide switches to off. I went back to My Ads and created a placement ad script and pasted into an ad module in a side column. The incontentars eventually disappeared but nothing ever appeared where I put the ad module.

Hope you and Glenn can help us. I followed the directions in the link Glenn provided but I think Googlemight have changed somethings since those messages were posted. There’s specific help for Wordpress on Adsense but none for vB. We’re using. 5.3.4. Don’t want to go to 5.1 as suggested earlier.
                      We are on 5.4.1 (the latest) but have had older versions which worked ok with AdSense.

I can't think what could be wrong because it sounds like you are doing things right. My only other thought is that your forum content isn't suited to many advertisers yet and if no suitable ads available nothing will show.

Comment

• Mrs.T
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 6.0.X

Also make sure you use the asynchronous
                        code if there is a choice as you create your ads http://support.google.com/adsense/an...21666?hl=en-GB

Comment

• JimMM
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          There is nothing on Adsense and vBulletin 5 because there isn't any special handling needed for their standard ads. The software wouldn't support their Auto Ads. This topic is the first that I have heard about it. However, the Ad modules are agnostic. You paste in the code, save the ad module, and it should appear if the ad server provides content to appear.

You want to use "Ad Units". This allows you to show the ads where you place the code. Read here: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6002575

When you get the code from Google, you would put that in your ad module and the ad should appear if your site is authorized to show ads within your Google Adsense account.
                          Thanks, Wayne. For some reason the code I got from the Ad Units was the same as the auto ads generator. Maybe a cache issue, but in any event I noticed the most recent attempt at configuring Ad Units did yield a different script and once I pasted it into a right column Ad Module, bam, all was well, If you can call a big obnoxious right column image "well". I wish I could resize that right column somehow.

Comment

• JimMM
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 3.6.x

We are on 5.4.1 (the latest) but have had older versions which worked ok with AdSense.

I can't think what could be wrong because it sounds like you are doing things right. My only other thought is that your forum content isn't suited to many advertisers yet and if no suitable ads available nothing will show.
                            Thanks, we finally got it working. Once I got the right script from Ad Units and pasted it into a vB ad module in our right column, the ad showed up seconds later. Sure wish I could make that right column slightly narrower. An image ad taking up the whole column looks huge compared to the forums's message area. I can make the right column narrower by adding a left column, but that just makes the forum message area that much narrower.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

I wish I could resize that right column somehow.
                              You should be able to resize it with CSS. However, I don't have the exact CSS available at the moment. At the default style width of 1200 pixels, the right column is about 300 pixels wide and borders, padding, and margins are figured in.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment