Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodmj
    • Mar 2013

forum and forums

So I've managed to end up with 2 top-level Nodes - forum and forums.

I think through Site Builder I've built what I want my Forum tab to look like in forums but I also have forum which I believe is a VB5 default Node that can't be deleted or renamed.

forum doesn't have the tab module with Forums, Latest Activity and Subscriptions in it (which I can't seem to find to add in Site Builder)

So I'm wondering what to do as Google/Bing isn't going to like my having 2 top-level nodes. Is there maybe a way to merge what I've done with forums into forum and then I could delete forums? or if not would there be a way to get that missing module onto the forum page and then I could delete forums?

Any suggestions appreciated.
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

Why did you go through all of that instead of using Site Builder to reconfigure the default index page? It would have been far easier and not caused any potential TLD or duplicate content issues.

Comment

• woodmj
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by In Omnibus
      Why did you go through all of that instead of using Site Builder to reconfigure the default index page? It would have been far easier and not caused any potential TLD or duplicate content issues.
      Alas I didn't appreciate the significance up to now

Comment

• woodmj
        • Mar 2013

Wayne Luke - Would you have any thoughts on this?

Comment

• In Omnibus
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by woodmj

Alas I didn't appreciate the significance up to now
          What is it that you are trying to accomplish? You can set any page as the "homepage" so the real question is whether or not you need to create a custom index page or not. If the default index page doesn't meet your needs (or if you don't want to edit the default index page, just in case you decide to revert to it later) then you can use the page you created and vBulletin will automatically redirect everything via the .htaccess file. The reason I don't recommend this with the page you created is you are going to confuse yourself. It's too easy to confuse "forums" with "forum."

There is already a page called "Forum" with the URL /forum

There is already a page called "Forums" with the URL /homepage

If you need to create a new custom index page I would recommend naming it something other than forum or forums.

If you need to reset the default pages I believe they have included a tools.php file in the "Do Not Upload" folder for that purpose.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Forums (url: / or /homepage) - This is a custom page used to create the default homepage on a new install. It only exists because customers didn't like the original vBulletin 5 homepage. This page generally shows an Activity Stream module as its main focus. It has various tabs for your forum list, subscriptions and the activity stream. You can rename this page simply by editing the page in Site Builder and giving it a new name.

Forum (url: /forum) - This is a channel that contains all your other forum channels. It looks and behaves like all other forum channels. The main focus of this page is the Sub-Forum Display Module. It simply lists the sub-forums within this channel. It also has the Channel Display Module on the page. This is where any topics within the forum channel itself would appear. The default layout is the exact same as any other forum style channel in the system.

You have several protected channels in the system.

Home Page (node 1) - The home node and parent of all content of your site.

Forum (node 2) - described above.

The rest are similar to the Forum channel but specialized for their own purposes.

Blogs (node 4) - Contains the default layout for Blog Channels and shows a customized activity stream modules to show your new blog activity.

Groups (node 5) - Same as Blogs but for Social Groups.

Articles (node 14) - Articles channels and its default pages.

Special (nodes 7-13)- Not normally displayed in a standard channel layout nor is it directly accessible from the UI. However it has sub-channels to store Private Messages, Visitor Messages, Albums, Infractions, and Reports.

These channels are referenced by GUID so you can actually rename them in the Channel Manager within the AdminCP. You can change their URLs by editing their pages in Site Builder and updating the URL when you save the page. Child or Sub Channels will inherit the URL of their parents when they are created but will not change automatically if your change the parent's URL afterward. Changing the name of a channel does not change its URL. You must update the URL manually by editing the channel's page in Site Builder. You would also have to update any Navigation or Footer links that lead to these channels/pages.

Any page in your system can be made the Home Page of the site by editing the page in Site Builder and checking the "Make This Page The Home Page" box when saving the page. If you do this, you can no longer access the page named "Forums" with the /. You would need to use /homepage to access it.

If you change the URL of any page or channel, vBulletin will automatically create a 301 rewrite in the routenew table.

Both channel and page names are required to have unique names and URLs. With channels, its parents are taken into account. If you name a page "Forum", the system will attempt to "de-dupe" this by adding a suffix to the URL.
            Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 14 May '19, 8:33am.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• woodmj
              • Mar 2013

Many thanks for this Wayne Luke

Comment

• Sean G
                • Nov 2020

FINALLY i can post! lol so anyway, i had a 10 year hiatus from my domain/vbulletin so i just bought this a couple of days ago, setting it up now. so it's great i can create a cms in it now, but, ok so from the looks of it above, i've fudged it up. i created my cms and tried to name it as a home button but now i have a home button and a forums button that go to the same darn page. no matter how many times i change it in the settings at the top of the page! i even tried setting the home url to vb/cms (what i called it) and the forums to vb/index.php and nothing works. i havent tried editing the index.php file yet....

Comment

• Sean G
                  • Nov 2020

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Forums (url: / or /homepage) - This is a custom page used to create the default homepage on a new install. It only exists because customers didn't like the original vBulletin 5 homepage. This page generally shows an Activity Stream module as its main focus. It has various tabs for your forum list, subscriptions and the activity stream. You can rename this page simply by editing the page in Site Builder and giving it a new name.
                  i actually want the Activity Stream. ugh.
                  I can't figure out how to fix my navigation bar links. I mean, i know how, the updates to it just wont work even after clearing cache. And, it won't let you delete a homepage unless you assign a new one first.

What I want to do is keep the Home page as my vb/cms page that i created from the templates. I want Forums to be linked to the main forum page, vb/index.php

Please advise.

Comment

• Sean G
                    • Nov 2020

Originally posted by In Omnibus

What is it that you are trying to accomplish? You can set any page as the "homepage" so the real question is whether or not you need to create a custom index page or not. If the default index page doesn't meet your needs (or if you don't want to edit the default index page, just in case you decide to revert to it later) then you can use the page you created and vBulletin will automatically redirect everything via the .htaccess file. The reason I don't recommend this with the page you created is you are going to confuse yourself. It's too easy to confuse "forums" with "forum."
                    Because I just got vb5 and haven't used vb since 2002. I'm a little rusty and quickly relearning, but never used vb5 as there are differences.

There is already a page called "Forum" with the URL /forum

There is already a page called "Forums" with the URL /homepage
                    Well that's retarded. Perhaps there should have been, by default, a Home.

If you need to create a new custom index page I would recommend naming it something other than forum or forums.
                    Did that, called it "cms", didn't make a difference.

If you need to reset the default pages I believe they have included a tools.php file in the "Do Not Upload" folder for that purpose.
                    That's a great idea! But it doesn't say where to exactly put the tools.php file but when I view it, and reading the little notes inside the code it tells you to put it in either of 2 folders. Problems: admincp shuts down until you delete tools.php again. And, there is no install folder after installation. So, tools.php is at this point, useless.

Comment

• Sean G
                      • Nov 2020

the problem i have is that now Forums in the navi bar doesnt link to the list of forums and ive been trying just about everything to get it right. i already have the link set to the url but it still goes to the cms.

Comment

• Sean G
                        • Nov 2020

NEVERMIND! i figured it out. link for forums is actually "forum". got it, works great now, thanks! *pats self on back lol*

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sean G
                          Well that's retarded. Perhaps there should have been, by default, a Home.
                          Page Titles and Page URLs are two different things. URLs must be unique. Page Names to not need to be unique. Using the url of "Forums" for the default Home Page would be confusing to a great many people.

We actually provide three different pages in a default installation that can be set as your Home Page in the Quick Setup Tool of Site Builder. These all have the Page Title of "Forums" because that is what it was called in vBulletin 3 and 4. People like consistency. However, when not set as the Home Page of the site, their URLS are homepage, homepage-classic, and homepage-community. In addition to this, you can set any page within vBulletin 5 to be the Home Page of your vBulletin site by choosing the Edit Page tool in Site Builder and then saving the page. So you can visit the Article section (named CMS in vBulletin 4) and set its main page as your vBulletin site's Home Page.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment