Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodmj
    • Mar 2013

Changing homepage

I've hit a problem when trying to change the homepage to the Articles tab in that although I can do that through Site Builder the Forums tab remains highlighted/selected and so it doesn't really make sense. I wonder if there is any way around this?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You need to manually edit the Navigation Tabs and update their URLS under Site Builder -> Navigation.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• woodmj
      • Mar 2013

Wayne Luke - Do you mean updating the Page Names controls which Navtab is selected/highlighted? I'm hesitant to make adjustments in this general area as I broke my forum when I did before (white paging) and the only way I got back in was through another Style.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

The URL of the Navigation item controls which is highlighted.

If you change your Forums URL to /beeblebop/ and the navigation tab says /forums/ then it won't highlight when you visit /beeblebop/.

These changes shouldn't have any affect on the rendering of pages. They are unrelated to the templates. You might get an invalid page error if you go to /forums and the system thinks you should be going to /beeblebop

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• woodmj
          • Mar 2013

Still can't win with this one Wayne Luke

Please see attachments as to my current settings.

If I tick to make my Articles tab the homepage my forum either white-screens or Articles becomes my homepage but whilst it's displayed the Forums tab is illuminated.

Maybe I'm still missing something?

Click image for larger version  Name:	forums.PNG Views:	0 Size:	35.2 KB ID:	4414717
          Click image for larger version  Name:	articles.PNG Views:	0 Size:	35.7 KB ID:	4414718

On a side note under my current setup and away from Site Builder the hover link for the Articles tab is xxxxxx.com/articles but is set as xxxxx.com/static on the Articles setting screen in Site Builder and for the Forums tab (ticked as homepage in Site Builder) just xxxxx.com and if I try to make my Articles tab my homepage in Site Builder that's when the wheels start to fall off and I start getting white screens. Also if I try to change the URL for my Forums tab in Site Builder to /forums/ it says that's already in use :-?
          Last edited by woodmj; Wed 8 May '19, 1:37am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            You need to manually edit the Navigation Tabs and update their URLS under Site Builder -> Navigation.
            The tab that is highlighted is based on the URL that you're currently visiting, not the page name. The system will match the URL of the tab with the page and highlight the one that matches.
            1. Click Navigation in the Site Builder menu.
            2. Edit the Articles tab by clicking on its pencil icon.
            3. Change its URL to blank.
            4. Save the changes.
            5. Edit the Forums tab by clicking on its pencil icon.
            6. Change it to either 'forum' or 'homepage'.

[note] Setting the URL of the Forum tab to 'homepage' will give you the default layout that vBulletin ships with as its homepage. Changing it to 'forum' will link to a more streamlined listing of forums and be less confusing to your customers.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment