Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodmj
    • Mar 2013

CMS Article Published Dates Changing

Just wondered if anyone else finds if they go in to edit one of their Articles the GUI brings up the Published Date as 1 month later than the current one? Is this a bug maybe or some kind of problem my end?
  • Flowerfairy
    • Feb 2019
    • 5.3.x

I notice that on my CMS but only if I leave the "Publish now" option turned off, it defaults to scheduling the publication for a month ahead, so I have to make sure it's turned ON and then the articles get published immediately.

Comment

• woodmj
      • Mar 2013

Oh I see. I've been manipulating my published dates to try & sort my articles as currently there's no other way to do it.

Comment

• Flowerfairy
        • Feb 2019
        • 5.3.x

Originally posted by woodmj
        Oh I see. I've been manipulating my published dates to try & sort my articles as currently there's no other way to do it.
        Yes, most annoying and I have also read the other thread about it on here, I kept trying to use the display order on admincp to no avail! Why should that have stopped working when it worked in previous vB versions? And the whole point of a CMS is to post categorised content as opposed to date-sensitive content, we have the forums for that...

Comment

• woodmj
          • Mar 2013

Flowerfairy Yes, it's weird the display order boxes are in the ACP but don't actually do anything. Hopefully VB will activate them some way in a future release. Please vote for the mod that Wayne Luke mentioned in the other thread.

Comment

• zweeper
            • Jan 2005
            • 6.0.X

Yes same issue here

Comment

• In Omnibus
              • Apr 2010

Articles should display in reverse chronological order. Using them in a manner not used by any publisher anywhere is not a flaw of the software. That's possibly a reason why that issue has so few votes. It was something that shouldn't have been included in vBulletin 4 either. Changing the display order is a feature of blogs like WordPress, not of articles like are found in newspapers and magazines. Requiring or requesting a display order for articles is an exception to the rule of how articles are used.

All content is date-sensitive. That's why media rushes to be first instead of waiting to be accurate. The first site to index unique content wins the search engine battle.

I'm not suggesting no one has a use for this but it's certainly not a design flaw to have articles publish when you publish them.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

In all honesty, the entire "Article" section in the AdminCP is out of place with the vBulletin 5 Content Management Paradigm. Channels should be created using either the Channel Manager in SiteBuilder or in the AdminCP. Content should be managed on the front end similarly to Forums, Blogs, and Social Groups. The entire interface is a holdover from vBulletin 4.X when every system was basically a different application stitched together in one interface.

I agree that a Display Order on articles is useful. I would like one for documentation purposes. Those shouldn't be displayed by publish date all the time. A Display Order can be useful in different use cases as well. We shouldn't toss a feature suggestion just because other software doesn't do that. That said, there are ways around this using search modules. You can limit the results of a search module to a specific channel and list of nodes. You can order those nodes in a specific way. You can feature nodes and show them in a search or Content Slider module. There is a lot of flexibility currently. Though a display order would be nice.
                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 3 May '19, 10:13am.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
                  In Omnibus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What an <article> is in HTML5 only adds to the confusion. Your solution is the one I'd prefer.

• Wayne Luke
                  Wayne Luke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Using HTML5 semantic tags is another discussion. Something I wish we would support but is a large undertaking that isn't feasible at the moment.
              • Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by woodmj
                Just wondered if anyone else finds if they go in to edit one of their Articles the GUI brings up the Published Date as 1 month later than the current one? Is this a bug maybe or some kind of problem my end?
                There is a bug that can change the publish dates of articles to 1 month in the future when editing. Manually changing the date or setting Publish Now should resolve the immediate issue.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• zweeper
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 6.0.X

Still wondering why articles on the 2nd page are not in the correct order. Same here on vbulletin.
                  It's a pity. Sad.

Comment

• zweeper
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 6.0.X

Some more details i found out now.

1. Go to: https://www.bolidenforum.de/artikel
                    2. Check the articles on this page now and scroll down.
                    3. Go to "page 2" on the bottom line navigation
                    4. Go back to page 1 now on the bottom line navigation
                    5. Suddenly the articles on page 1 are completely different ones ?!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Seems like a caching issue. What is the Issue ID that this was reported under?

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• zweeper
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        Seems like a caching issue. What is the Issue ID that this was reported under?
                        Hello Wayne, i don't report anything in the bug tracker. Its to complicated. Until now I am just using the forum and I am hoping that you guys track issues coming up in the forums.
                        I have no Idea what to do with this issue, it's a big problem anyhow for my site.

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by zweeper

Hello Wayne, i don't report anything in the bug tracker. Its to complicated. Until now I am just using the forum and I am hoping that you guys track issues coming up in the forums.
                          That won't work.

It's not the support team that work on bugs, it's the development team. They do not work in the forums at all. The support team cannot report it for you as the development team will usually come back with questions about the issue the user is experiencing, which you will be notified of and can answer.

In short if it's not in the bug tracker, it won't get fixed.

Creating a bug is actually easy, you just need issue and dexcription, don't worry about any other fields.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• zweeper
                            • Jan 2005
                            • 6.0.X

Isnt that something to further optimize in the future to improve bug reporting?
                            I mean, what are the chances that I will also never answer again in the bug tracker? it's more or less the same. And I think much more bugs could be handled if you guys forward issues directly to the development team as well. Well, the issue is, that the articles receive a wrong date if you edit it, guess there problem is clear?

But thanks anyway for your clear answer, it helps me to understand how vbulletin works.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...