X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carrfixr
    • May 2017
    • 5.5.x

Lost unread comments again

Wayne I did what you asked and documented it with pictures. I made 2 comments in two different forums as seen in the pic. There is one reply from a different thread in this pic also. I went to the reply and then arrowed back. Both of my comments were gone. This happened after going back and forth a few times from some other reply’s that are shown. So really all you need to do his go around and make comments to see this for yourself. It does not matter if you arrow back or click the unread url.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Your own comments should never be marked as unread. So is is a different bug that they are even in that unread state. Everything you create should be marked as read when you create it.

What do you mean by "going back and forth"? Are you using the back button in the browser?

Which other topics did you click on when the comments disappeared? This is important information so we know how the read marking is working in the system.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Carrfixr
      • May 2017
      • 5.5.x

""What to do to change our forum""" url is the last topic I clicked. Them hit the back button and my comments were gone. Just as the pic shows
      Last edited by Carrfixr; Fri 3 May '19, 11:40am.

Comment

• Carrfixr
        • May 2017
        • 5.5.x

fwiw my own reply’s are marked unread as well

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

I am going to have to reset my test bed and create some more tests with this over several users. It will take a few days as creating randomized users and having those users create posts takes time even when automated.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Carrfixr
            • May 2017
            • 5.5.x

There was a decent amount of comments posted on this VB site. I clicked "unrelated" topics to those comments in no particular order and arrowed back. Lost unrelated comments.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

I know I have mentioned this before, but long ago it always used to be the case that, because forum content is generally dynamic and generated on the fly, the back button should not be used as results can be unpredictable.

I know at one time - way back in the vB2 days - it used to be given as advice here on this site.
              I don't know if that still has any relevance today but it would be worth knowing whether the problem occurs if you actually click back to the page via a link, rather than using 'back'.

I know of many sites (not vBulletin, or even forums) where using the back button is a bad idea because it just doesn't always do what you expect on dynamic sites.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Carrfixr
                • May 2017
                • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                I know I have mentioned this before, but long ago it always used to be the case that, because forum content is generally dynamic and generated on the fly, the back button should not be used as results can be unpredictable.

I know at one time - way back in the vB2 days - it used to be given as advice here on this site.
                I don't know if that still has any relevance today but it would be worth knowing whether the problem occurs if you actually click back to the page via a link, rather than using 'back'.

I know of many sites (not vBulletin, or even forums) where using the back button is a bad idea because it just doesn't always do what you expect on dynamic sites.
                I hear what your saying but in this case it does not matter. If I go directly to the unread link instead of going back it still does it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Carrfixr
                  There was a decent amount of comments posted on this VB site. I clicked "unrelated" topics to those comments in no particular order and arrowed back. Lost unrelated comments.
                  Were these unrelated topics in the same forum or in sub-forums with the same parent? That is what we're trying to determine. Clicking on "Unrelated Topics" doesn't help us determine the problem without the exact URLs of the comments that are disappearing and the URLs of the seemingly unrelated topics.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Carrfixr
                    • May 2017
                    • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Were these unrelated topics in the same forum or in sub-forums with the same parent? That is what we're trying to determine. Clicking on "Unrelated Topics" doesn't help us determine the problem without the exact URLs of the comments that are disappearing and the URLs of the seemingly unrelated topics.
                    As mentioned in my original tracker they can be anywhere on the forum. Have you tried it on your end?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Haven't been able to replicate it. None of the unread topics in my list were in these two forums. I have gone and read every topic except the two on this site that show they have new comments. This is what I ended up with:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-05-10_10-01-42.png Views:	0 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	4414930

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Carrfixr
                        • May 2017
                        • 5.5.x

Since we had a couple of updates is there a chance that this comment issue would be resolved? I have had them turned off but would try it as an admin before releasing it to the board

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

You can try it but we haven't resolved anything with this particular issue because it can't be replicated with any degree of accuracy. The only thing we could replicates (channels being marked read incorrectly) was fixed a long while ago but you said it didn't resolve your issue.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment