X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OrganForum
    • Feb 2013
    • 5.7.X

Spam Management Options don't appear in Delete box

What determines whether the spam management options appear in the Delete box for Topics and Posts?

I have users with a primary usergroup of Super Moderator, and no additional usergroups, some of which do see the spam management options in the delete box, and others who do not. I've compared their privileges and settings in User Manager->Channel Permissions, Channel Management->Channel Permissions, and Channel Management->Moderator Permissions and they are identical between those users being presented with those options and those who are not.
    VB 5.7.2
    PHP 7.4
    MySQL 8.0.28
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Usergroups -> Channel Permissions and Channel Management -> Channel Permissions both lead to the exact same location. Two ways of access based on personal tastes.

I don't know why one user would have the Spam Management features and another wouldn't if they are configured exactly the same. Try saving the Moderator Permissions for the users that do not have the permissions. Your database may be out of sync with the cache.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• OrganForum
      • Feb 2013
      • 5.7.X

thanks for your response. This problem has existed since migrating the Forum from 4.2.5 to 5.x.x in January. I cleared the cache multiple times when trying to remedy the problem with no change.

I was finally able to restore the spam management functionality for this user by reassigning his role to Registered user and removing any additional roles, then clearing the cache and restoring his Super Moderator role, at least I think that was the magic combination. The users having this problem were migrated from the 4.2.5 version of the Forum, while users not having the issue were assigned their elevated roles after the migration.

What I'd still like to know is if there is a specific permission or role requirement that affects the spam management options. I see a permission for permanent deletion, but nothing for spam management.

Thanks.
      VB 5.7.2
      PHP 7.4
      MySQL 8.0.28

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Does the user have the Can Mass Prune Topics permission?

Channel Management -> Moderator Permissions
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 29 Mar '19, 11:10am.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• OrganForum
          • Feb 2013
          • 5.7.X

In the original instance, the roles and permissions were the same across the board.

The roles and permission settings seem a bit chaotic and confusing to me, but the big picture is finally coming into view.

The specific point of confusion here is that the Moderator permission options are different depending upon how you view them. For example, in Channel Management->Channel Permissions under the Moderator heading there is a permission for Can Mass Copy/Move Nodes.

Under Channel Management->Moderator Permissions this permission does not exist, but there are two other permissions that are not included under the Channel Permissions, Can Mass-Move Topics, and Can Mass-Prune topics. Yet, in most other cases the permissions are duplicated in both areas.

I understand that the purpose of Usergroup Permissions, and I would think by extension, Moderator Permissions, is to permit the overriding of the more general Channel Permissions on a role-by- role basis, but, unless I'm missing something, it seems to me that the options presented should be the same in both places.

Anyway, immediate problem solved with an improved understanding of roles and permission options.

Thanks
          VB 5.7.2
          PHP 7.4
          MySQL 8.0.28

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by OrganForum
            For example in Channel Management->Channel Permissions under the Moderator heading there is a permission for Can Mass Copy/Move Nodes.
            These permissions are not relevant to your issue. They really should be removed from the system altogether.

Under Channel Management->Moderator Permissions this permission does not exist, but there are two other permissions that are not included under the Channel Permissions, Can Mass-Move Topics, and Can Mass-Prune topics. Yet, in most other cases the permissions are duplicated in both areas.
            If the user does not have Can Mass-Prune Topics they cannot access the Spam Management functions in Inline Moderation. Since you're discussing Super Moderators, nothing in the Channel Permissions is relevant at this point.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• OrganForum
              OrganForum commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I get that. The original issue was with a Super Moderator, but the same issue existed for Moderators. I agree, if the permissions under Channel Permissions Moderator are redundant they should be removed. A definite source of confusion.