• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • panzerscope
    • Feb 2019
    • 5.3.x

What drives the ''Reputation'' Meter Lights

Hey Guys,

So being new to VB so far as the default reputation system, I have a question. The reputation bar (as highlighted in the attachment) what determines when a section of said meter gets lit up ? I know you can edit the Reputation titles from AdminCP>Reputation Manager but this only controls Post counts VS Title shown on a users postbit, but does not seem to govern when a lit up section to a users Rep Meter gets assigned.

I would assume there is somewhere where you can alter the behavior ?

Thanks,
    P
    Attached Files
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Every 100 points of reputation gives an orange bar up to ten bars. This is hard coded.

Users earn reputation through likes. The amount of reputation received by a specific like is determined by the Reputation Power of the user giving the like.

Users gain Reputation Power by creating posts, liking posts from other users, length of registration and several other factors. You can adjust Reputation Power under Settings -> Options -> User Reputation Options.

You can set levels of reputation (that affects the wording when the bars are moused over) under User Reputations -> User Reputation Manager.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• panzerscope
      • Feb 2019
      • 5.3.x

Fantastic, great explanation and all solved for me Thanks for that.

Comment

• medialps
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        Every 100 points of reputation gives an orange bar up to ten bars. This is hard coded.
        It is quite hard to understand in my opinion...
        So the max of reputation bar is always 1000? Is it possible to set the max value of reputation bar? In my opinion the system has sense only if an admin can set a max for the bar, that naturally should be updated and increased with the years of the community, when quite users reach the max it is time to increase or double the max for the bar)

As you explained, in VB5 that works only with Likes, an user can only receive a higher and higher reputation.
        Can a user also lose points? For example, if he receives infractions?
        Thanks
        Last edited by medialps; Sat 11 Apr '20, 8:48am.

Comment

• Milforum
          • Apr 2015
          • 6.X

Wayne Luke once said something to the lines of that he didn't like the bar functionality and would want to get rid of it, I think.
          But I agree with you - if it is to be retained, it should be possible to scale it in some way by an admin.

Comment

• LockedOnLaw
            • Apr 2010
            • 6.X

Reputation is a garbage feature. It's always been a garbage feature. It's nothing but users greasing each other. I rep you, you rep me, oh, how cliquish we can be ...

I always turn it off and am in favor of removing it entirely and replacing it with a better option.

The thing is what I have in mind is a massive undertaking and the developers have more important things to do right now.

Comment

• Carrfixr
              • May 2017
              • 5.5.x

Code:
               .b-meter{display:none!important;}
              .b-table__cell--header:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-table__row:nth-child(1) > div:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-table__row:nth-child(2) > div:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-table__row:nth-child(3) > div:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-table__row:nth-child(4) > div:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-table__row:nth-child(5) > div:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-table__row:nth-child(6) > div:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-table__row:nth-child(7) > div:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-table__row:nth-child(8) > div:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-table__row:nth-child(9) > div:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-table__row:nth-child(10) > div:nth-child(6){display:none!important;}
              .b-meter__bar {display:none !important;}

Just hide the whole deal. Got this off of another thread here.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by 720
                Wayne Luke once said something to the lines of that he didn't like the bar functionality and would want to get rid of it, I think.
                But I agree with you - if it is to be retained, it should be possible to scale it in some way by an admin.
                Well what I think is that...

1. The "User Reputation Manager" is bunk and should be removed. I mean, who has actually gone in here and changed these? For what? An Alt Title on hover?

2. Reputation should be gained by:
                1. Creating Topics, Articles, Blog Entries, Group Discussions.
                2. Providing "Answers" (another feature that should be added)
                3. Referring Users (coming in 5.6.1)
                4. Liked Content.
                3. Reputation should be lost by:
                1. Having posts deleted.
                2. Infractions
                3. Temporary Bans

4. In addition to this, the User Rank system should be expanded to handle the display of Reputation as pips (which aren't very useful), achievements, or reward icons. Ranks should have options to be awarded based on topics started, total posts, posts in a specific channel, users referred, reputation, days registered, and probably a few other criteria. The thing is the Administrator of the site would determine how these rewards are given out instead of it being hard coded in the system. These rewards should also be displayed in the User's Profile.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Milforum
                  • Apr 2015
                  • 6.X

Actually, I agree with 2, 3 and 4, however, I kinda like those titles. and have added around 30 extra titles for flavour. I have also previously added code to make the title visible directly on the postbit, not just on mouse-over.

I also implemented the code from Carrfixr above, except for the first line, right now. The bars are gone, but the reputation-based title lingers on.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

If the User Rank subsystem is able to take Reputation into account, then you can keep your custom titles. However, they will be in a single location and duplicate code will be reduced. This makes the software easier to manage and update so we can add new features. The developers can also create an upgrade step to move the titles you have into the new system. Plus you wouldn't need custom CSS to hide the pips and show the title. This will make your upgrades simpler if we change that code for some reason.

A large part of the issue with developing, supporting, and learning vBulletin is that there are too many duplicate features fulfilling the needs of a very small portion of the customer base. I know these features are all important to someone somewhere. However, if we can reduce duplicity and improve the software this will help everyone. One area of duplicate features can be found within Announcements and Notices. This is why Notices were recently expanded to include all of the features from Announcements. Announcements were deprecated. It is planned to remove the Announcement feature completely in the future. Removing announcements will also allow removing a module from every page. Removing this module will also improve performance in a minor way and reduce cache fracturing.

This duplication (triplication?) is also found in the User Title, User Rank, and Reputation subsystems. All three provide the same thing to the end user, prestige and recognition. There is no reason to maintain all three sets of functionality in separate subsystems. Instead, I would like to combine them and expand the resulting system to fit the needs of more customers. Plus this would reduce bloat in the AdminCP which is often severely neglected and contains a lot of legacy code.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• medialps
                      • Apr 2020

You are right! Remove User titles and user ranks, and leave only reputation, but working as you said in #8. That is the best solution and the only solution that considers the real value of an user.

Comment

• Rosely
                        • Jan 2020

I just ended up in this thread whilst trying to look up anything on the changes in the reputation system since we upgraded to 5.5.6 from 4.

So am I right in understanding that the reason I can't find the option for members to proactively give or take rep any more (with a submitted reason/comment) is because it no longer works that way and all rep happens automatically based on activity? Basically rep being awarded through receiving likes.

Also, that the simplification in the pips awarded is because the extended reputation display that we had as a modification in v4 is no longer applicable to v5?

Is there any way at all that we can require greater gaps between the rep bars awarded as really new members are gaining full bars incredibly quickly, or increase the complexity of awarding rep in again?
                        Last edited by Rosely; Sat 3 Oct '20, 4:25am.

Comment

• Milforum
                          • Apr 2015
                          • 6.X

As mentioned above, I removed the pips altogether with the code provided by Carrfixr , and set up user ranks that were partly set manually, partly based on rep.

However, what I'd like is something like the third-party module I used with vB4, but which doesn't work anymore - you could set it so that only likes on specific topics (e.g. serious articles, not jokes) gave a boost in rep. Additionally something like what Wayne Luke says in post #8.

Comment

• Rosely
                            • Jan 2020

Our pre-upgrade rep system with extended pips and titles on hover (which are still there of course) was a really popular feature and it is just so reduced now. I was hoping to be able to get something like that back again and particularly where users can award reputation proactively. I'm still trying to understand how it works now and if I'm missing something.

It seems like the pips must be awarded for very little now and doesn't appear that we can control that. New users are getting all their bars filled very quickly. Presumably because if a very established forum member 'likes' their posts they are given a huge boost in rep as that person's rep giving power is large. Previously members had to choose to award reputation and so it was built slowly and based on notable contributions. The whole system has collapsed now really and if we can't return it we'll probably have to remove it. I should probably start a new thread with my original post, but thank you for responding and sadly we may well end up using Carrfixr's code.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

The reputation pips actually work exactly how they did in vBulletin 4.X. We constantly had this conversation in the past with vBulletin 3 and 4 as well.

Basic PIPs are green. Extended PIPs are orange. The mouseover text is also still implemented and maintained in the AdminCP. Mouseover my reputation to the left to see it.

Three things happened with Reputation in vBulletin 5.

1) The text was changed from Reputation to Like.
                              2) The ability to comment when giving a like was removed.
                              3) Giving Negative Reputation was removed.

You can control how much Reputation Power someone obtains under Settings -> Options -> User Reputation Options. It may be that power is being given too generously on your site.
                              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 5 Oct '20, 8:30am.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment