• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gene THF
    • Jan 2019
    • 5.3.x

Systems Error on Login Attempt

Hi,

Sometimes on our installation at TinyHouseForum.com when I try to log in it'll give me a systems error.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 5.04.10 PM.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	4411840

This would be a big issue for us as we've just launched and we've got promotions coming through that's driving lots of traffic to the site and obviously if people can't sign up or log in this would be a big problem.

Any ideas as to what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Gene M.
    TinyHouseForum.com
    Lead Admin
    [email protected]
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

Check the error logs on the server or enable debug mode on the config files to see the detailed error stack trace.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

If your database is refusing the connection, you could get an error like this. If you have the technical email filled out properly in your /core/includes/config.php file then you should receive an email containing the actual database error that is encountered.

If you're hitting maximum connections, you'll want to increase that value. The default of 100 connections can be very low for higher traffic sites. While vBulletin opens and close connections quickly, the server can have open connections from other sources that impacts this. Other issues could be query limits set up for the user configured in the /core/includes/config.php. Ideally, you wouldn't have such limits but some server providers use this to limit usage on "Unlimited" accounts.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Gene THF
        • Jan 2019
        • 5.3.x

Hey guys, thanks for your input.

Glenn:

This is what the error logs say for that timeframe

[Wed Mar 27 17:04:08.631050 2019] [mpm_worker:notice] [pid 2051:tid 47246368412736] AH00297: SIGUSR1 received. Doing graceful restart
        [Wed Mar 27 17:04:08.714307 2019] [mpm_worker:warn] [pid 2051:tid 47246368412736] AH00317: MaxRequestWorkers of 256 is not an integer multiple of ThreadsPerChild of 25, decreasing to nearest multiple 250
        [Wed Mar 27 17:04:08.720862 2019] [mpm_worker:notice] [pid 2051:tid 47246368412736] AH00292: Apache/2.4.38 (cPanel) OpenSSL/1.0.2r mod_bwlimited/1.4 configured -- resuming normal operations
        [Wed Mar 27 17:04:08.720888 2019] [core:notice] [pid 2051:tid 47246368412736] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/sbin/httpd'

Wayne:

Thanks for that info, I'll look into increasing the max connections.

Gene M.
        TinyHouseForum.com
        Lead Admin
        [email protected]

Comment

• Gene THF
          • Jan 2019
          • 5.3.x

Just a few updates:

We do have the technical email filled out in /core/includes/config.php

// ****** TECHNICAL EMAIL ADDRESS ******
          // If any database errors occur, they will be emailed to the address specified here.
          // Leave this blank to not send any emails when there is a database error.
          $config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]';

But, Chuck says he never recieved any email about a database error. (I'm guessing this is because this isn't a database error, but maybe an apache error?). Is it possible to add two emails to this variable seperated by commas?

Gene M.
          TinyHouseForum.com
          Lead Admin
          [email protected]

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

The messages you listed above are not Database errors. They are coming from mpm_worker.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Gene THF
              • Jan 2019
              • 5.3.x

Hey Guys,

Update on this ticket. I've changed the MPM_Worker settings and that doesn't seem to solve this issue as we're still getting it - so just consider this issue unrelated to the above for the time being.

Any other idea of what it could be? If we're ruling out a DB issue, and increasing the MPM_Worker settings seems to have no effect.

The last time this error occured it was 11:18AM on Sunday March 31.

Click image for larger version

Name:	System Error Message.png
Views:	281
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	4412158

This issue is happening enough to warrant attention - I've gotten it, Chuck has gotten it and I'm sure our members are probably getting it.

Any ideas?

Gene

Comment

• OrganForum
                OrganForum commented
                Editing a comment
                I had a similar problem after first migrating from 4.25. to 5.x.x. In my case the problem seemed to arise when I had previously been signed into the AdminCP, and then tried to login to the front end, but I could not faithfully reproduce it. The problem would clear up by itself after a period of time or othertimes I could just go to a different browser on the same machine and signin which led me to look at cookies.

I found two potential contributing factors. First, I had changed the default cookie prefix when I migrated and they differed in the two config files. Make sure they are the same. The second factor was http: vs https: connections. I wound up specifying https: connections for all the URLS under AdminCP-> Site Name / URL / Contact Details and modifying .htaccess to redirect all incoming http: to https:.

I can't say with any certainty that these two changes were the sole, or even the cause of my issue as I was also experiencing database problems at the time, but I've not seen the problem again after making those changes. When the problem occurs, try clearing your cookies for a clue. Good luck!
                Last edited by OrganForum; Mon 1 Apr '19, 12:38pm.

• Gene THF
                Gene THF commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey OrganForum, thanks for that response - contextually it feels like the same issue so i'm going to look at what you've mentioned. Appreciate the feedback!

Gene
            • Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

What browser is Chuck using?
              What OS?
              How old is his password?
              Is he using the development or live forums?
              How often does it occur for him?

Trying to recreate the issue and could not do so after loading the page several dozen times and checking the login form.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Gene THF
                • Jan 2019
                • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                What browser is Chuck using?
                What OS?
                How old is his password?
                Is he using the development or live forums?
                How often does it occur for him?

Trying to recreate the issue and could not do so after loading the page several dozen times and checking the login form.
                Broswer/OS: OS Mojave 10.14.3 (18D109) and Chrome Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
                Password Age: as old as the Site installation, never changed.
                Dev or Live Forums: Live Forums.
                How often does it occur: It's an intermittent thing that probably occurs once every few days.

It's definitely a very difficult issue to recreate, i've seen it before myself however, when I was doing some custom PHP module stuff - sometimes when I'd come back it would give me that error. If I come across it again personally i'll try to update this thread with more info on possible recreation.

Gene

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 5.7.X

Did you enable debug mode? If enabled, it should display the error stack trace on the page in place of that generic error message that appears when debug mode is off. If you don't want other people to see the error stack trace for security reasons, you can enable debug mode for selected IP address only. Please refer to my blog post on my site on how to do this.

Debug mode is useful for debugging/development purposes. A vBulletin support staff has a blog (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/how-to-enable-or-disable-debug

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Gene THF
                    Gene THF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've done those things yes - and thanks for that tip on the debug mode IP filtering as I'm currently using that on my site now (Wayne actually set it up before I got a chance).
                • In Omnibus
                  • Apr 2010

Does Chuck ever login to the modcp or admincp? One thing I know causes this issue at least occasionally is being logged into the back end but not the front end.

Comment

• Gene THF
                    Gene THF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, we both do. And we both notice these kinds of issues when logging in and out of the system like that...

• In Omnibus
                    In Omnibus commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think this is a bug but I'm not entirely sure how to report it because I'm not entirely sure how to duplicate it. On my test site I find it happens intermittently and only under the conditions described.

• Wayne Luke
                    Wayne Luke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A log out from the front-end should delete your AdminCP Session cookie as well as all the cookies used by the front end. Logging out from the AdminCP should only delete the AdminCP Session while leaving the user logged in on the front-end.

Though extensions on the browser may prevent this from working properly.
                • Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Do you have "Timeout Admin Session" set in the AdminCP? Settings -> Options -> AdminCP?

Also what is your cookie time out set to under Settings -> Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Settings?

Setting Timeout Admin Session to "Yes" or checking Remember Me when logging in on the front-end should resolve the issues on that device. The first will kill the AdminCP Session at the same interval of inactivity as the Cookie Timeout so you can't be logged into the AdminCP while logged out on the front end. The second keeps you logged into the front-end as long as the cookies exist on the device. The AdminCP will still time out after an hour of inactivity and require a second login when visiting.

If you want additional security on the AdminCP, you can block access via IP Address in the /core/includes/config.php file and/or enable Two-Factor Authorization in the same file. Two-Factor requires a third-party app on your mobile device. Both Google and Microsoft make compatible authenticator apps for both Android and iOS.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...