X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cfleet1
    • Jun 2013
    • 6.0.X

Having Email Issues Thought I Would Ask Here

So my host sent me this message. Ill post it below. I dont quite know why my forum is sending out so many emails through the server. I have employed someone to help me use a 3rd party email service called Mailgun. We get 10K free emails. In one day Mailgun is showing almost 800 emails going through. I dont know where on my forum this is happening. The tough part about VB is that it is so technical that i have to pay to have these fixes done. And it seems like there is always some issue i have to resolve. So i thought i would ask here. In hopes that someone might be able to lok at my forum and figure out why its sending out so many emails?

I dont know what to do at this point. Here is the message from the host.

​​​​​​Hello,

We are contacting you from Namecheap Technical support.

Since your server has a management plan with us and is added to our monitoring system, we noticed that there was an email queue accumulating on your server. Having checked the issue, we can see that you have a forum athttp://www.thepowderblues.com/forum/ that is sending out notifications to its users about any changes on the forum from the address [email protected] using the PHP script.

The thing is that our services are not designed for mass mailing and if the content of the email contains spam markers, it gets filtered by our internal system. Unfortunately, your mailing ability has been limited by our internal system due to unusual mailing rate. In order to resolve the issue, we would recommend to decrease the amount of email notifications that are sent to the forum users so that the emails can pass the filtering system without an issue.

In case it is not possible, we could also try adding the email account [email protected] to whitelist in your filtering system. However, in this case the emails must include an "unsubscribe" link or instructions about how the forum users may disable these notifications. It is required in order to prevent the users from marking your emails as spam and spoiling your servers email reputation.

Should you have any questions, please contact us back any time.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There are quite a number of reasons a user can be sent an email. You can see them all on the User Settings page by clicking on Notifications. Any one of the events there can trigger an email notification. Generally speaking, the more active forums will send more email.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Cfleet1
      • Jun 2013
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      There are quite a number of reasons a user can be sent an email. You can see them all on the User Settings page by clicking on Notifications. Any one of the events there can trigger an email notification. Generally speaking, the more active forums will send more email.
      Can i simply replace the webmaster email with my personal email? So the host doesnt cry about it?

Comment

• In Omnibus
        In Omnibus commented
        Editing a comment
        You should be able to do that since your personal email does not include an outgoing SMTP hosting account and you won't be adding one to your AdminCP.
    • Cfleet1
      • Jun 2013
      • 6.0.X

I have a webmaster account. Basically just a member. As well as my rss feed account named Hotoffthewire. The Hotoffthewire account has no email set. But it had the boxes checked in the picture below. The webmaster account had the server email attached to it. The [email protected] email. That also had the boxes checked for email notifications when a new post was made. I set that email to my personal email.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Your host is talking about outgoing emails. They are not talking about emails being sent to individual users that you control and happen to use a email on your domain. Your "Hotoffthewire" user isn't getting any emails per the screenshot above. It doesn't matter how many boxes are checked. The account is set to only display notifications in their Message Center.

Under no circumstances should you change the Webmaster Email Address under Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details to your personal email. Not only does this open your personal account up to spam but all emails sent out by your installation of vBulletin will be marked as spam. This is because the originating email address doesn't match the domain name. A key indicator of spam. You can do whatever you want to your individual users since they aren't part of the equation.

Most hosting providers have limits on email sending. The only way around these limits is to use an SMTP provider separate from your Hosting Account. You might be able to buy such an account from your current host or you can use a service like Mailgun. These services are designed to handle lots of email. Personally, I wouldn't consider 800 emails a day to be a lot but each hosting provider creates their own guidelines. You should also describe that these are legitimate emails requested by your users and ask how you can improve the system so they aren't filtered as spam.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Cfleet1
          • Jun 2013
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Your host is talking about outgoing emails. They are not talking about emails being sent to individual users that you control and happen to use a email on your domain. Your "Hotoffthewire" user isn't getting any emails per the screenshot above. It doesn't matter how many boxes are checked. The account is set to only display notifications in their Message Center.

Under no circumstances should you change the Webmaster Email Address under Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details to your personal email. Not only does this open your personal account up to spam but all emails sent out by your installation of vBulletin will be marked as spam. This is because the originating email address doesn't match the domain name. A key indicator of spam. You can do whatever you want to your individual users since they aren't part of the equation.

Most hosting providers have limits on email sending. The only way around these limits is to use an SMTP provider separate from your Hosting Account. You might be able to buy such an account from your current host or you can use a service like Mailgun. These services are designed to handle lots of email. Personally, I wouldn't consider 800 emails a day to be a lot but each hosting provider creates their own guidelines. You should also describe that these are legitimate emails requested by your users and ask how you can improve the system so they aren't filtered as spam.
          Thanks bud. I didnt change the email in the setting you showed. There is a member named webmaster. I think it was used initially when we created this forum.

The email in the location you posted is named [email protected]

Comment