Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark.hs
    • Dec 2016

Long delay when posting messages

We are seeing long delays when posting messages in our forum. My personal experience is 6 seconds on average (as low as 3 seconds and as long as 10 seconds). Other users are reporting 15-20 seconds; which is really long. The yellow "Working" message does appear during the posting process so at least there is a visual indicator.

I'm assuming the cause is something server side, so just wondering if the VB team or others have a list of things we can check to make sure everything is as optimized as possible. We don't have a huge forum and moving around the forum is quite fast, so I don't think it's the physical hardware issue.

Looking for any recommendations.

thank you,
    Mark
    Admin for hobbysquawk.com
    VB 5.74
    PHP 8.2
    Maria DB 10.6
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Make sure your node table has the node_parent_lastcontent index on it. This should have been added during the upgrade to 5.5.0.

KEY `node_parent_lastcontent` (`parentid`,`showpublished`,`showapproved`,`lastcontent`,`lastcontentid`)
    - Being added in 5.5.1

Make sure you're using INNODB tables on MySQL 5.7 or higher.

Upgrade to 5.5.1 when it is released. This should happen this week.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 12 Mar '19, 9:13am.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• OrganForum
      OrganForum commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm running 5.5.0 and don't see a node_parent_lastcontent index on the node table. I do see a node_lastcontent index. Is that what you are referring to?

• Wayne Luke
      Wayne Luke commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry.. Appears this is being added in 5.5.1. The versions all run together. Especially since I am constantly running 6 or 7 different versions on my local machine at any given time. (3.8.11, 4.2.5, 5.4.4, 5.4.5, 5.5.0, 5.5.1, and 5.5.2 currently)
  • Wayne Luke
    • Aug 2000

I would like to add that the more topics you have in a channel, the slower it will load. Depending on your server configuration, this can happen with as few as 30K topics in a channel. There is work being done to correct this. These changes will most likely be in 5.2.2. They should provide a significant performance boost for large channels. In our tests, which started at a 30 second page load on an un-optimized server the page load was reduced to 2 seconds.

Wayne Luke
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mark.hs
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Make sure your node table has the node_parent_lastcontent index on it. This should have been added during the upgrade to 5.5.0.

KEY `node_parent_lastcontent` (`parentid`,`showpublished`,`showapproved`,`lastcontent`,`lastcontentid`)
      - Being added in 5.5.1

Make sure you're using INNODB tables on MySQL 5.7 or higher.

Upgrade to 5.5.1 when it is released. This should happen this week.
      1. I do have the node_lastcontent index
      2. All of my tables are InnoDB, EXCEPT the following three tables are using MyISAM:
      • userfield
      • language
      • phrase
      Do you think I should change the database engine to InnoDB for those three tables or are they likely not the cause?
      VB 5.74
      PHP 8.2
      Maria DB 10.6

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mark.hs
        Do you think I should change the database engine to InnoDB for those three tables or are they likely not the cause?
        These tables are not related to your issue. The phrase and language tables aren't actually used as often as people might think and they are predominantly "read only" since language changes don't happen often. When they do happen, we cache most of this information in the local storage of the client machine.

The index, I am talking about is a new index. Upgrading to 5.5.1 will add it for you.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mark.hs
          • Dec 2016

Test post, I want to see how long this forum takes to post a message with v5.5.1
          VB 5.74
          PHP 8.2
          Maria DB 10.6

Comment

• Carrfixr
            • May 2017
            • 5.5.x

I have always found this forum to be much slower than the VB cloud platform. I thought this forum was also cloud based but maybe it's on a different server. Not really sure why though

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Carrfixr
              I have always found this forum to be much slower than the VB cloud platform. I thought this forum was also cloud based but maybe it's on a different server. Not really sure why though
              This forum runs on its own servers with a slightly different configuration than vBulletin Cloud.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
                In Omnibus commented
                Editing a comment
                Not that I know what I'm talking about in the least but I always assumed this site ran on some kind of RAID configuration.

• Carrfixr
                Carrfixr commented
                Editing a comment
                It is annoyingly slow ,,I don't get why a forum design company would want a slow site
                If the cloud sites were like this I would not be able to deal with it.

Thanks for the info
                Last edited by Carrfixr; Sat 16 Mar '19, 10:12am.

• Wayne Luke
                Wayne Luke commented
                Editing a comment
                RAID is just a storage solution. Redundant Array of Independent Disks. RAID has a bunch of features that it can offer. It may or may not improve times with data access, depending on how it is configured. Sometimes you want a RAID for data redundancy and slower access can be better for that. Sometimes, you configure for speed. Sometimes you just JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) everything or use SSD. Or a combination of all of these. I don't know how the storage solutions are configured in the data center.

The Cloud and vBulletin.com virtual machines would be configured similarly and have the same storage setup. The big thing related to performance at the moment is the size of the site and how data is processed. The more topics in a channel, the slower it can be. Most Cloud sites do not see this because very few of them are over 2.5 Million Posts with 500 channels. 5.5.2 should have some improvements on how topics and channels are displayed in regards to speed.

See: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19175
                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sat 16 Mar '19, 11:47am.