X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cfleet1
    • Jun 2013
    • 6.0.X

Is There A Known Apostrophe Issue?

Often they dont show up on my site. Making words look odd with a large blank space where the Apostrophe should be. Has this been a known bug? Is there a fix?

• Cfleet1
    • Jun 2013
    • 6.0.X

Found the fix.

Comment

• In Omnibus
      In Omnibus commented
      Editing a comment
      Good, because it wasn't an issue I was able to reproduce.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

I'll post the solution here just in case someone else has the issue.

This is caused by using a character set that is not compatible with UTF-8. If your language is not using a UTF-8 character set then the "Curly Quotes" (among thousands of other characters) used by UTF-8 devices do not appear correctly. New installations of vBulletin 5 (as of 5.3.X) will be properly configured to use UTF-8. Upgrades from previous versions will not. They will inherit the language settings of that old version. Often this is ISO-8859-1 (the default in vBulletin 3 and 4). ISO-8859-1 is a small subset of UTF-8.

The character set can be specified under Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager. Then Edit your Language. If you're using a non-English Language then you will probably have to specify a UTF-8 Compatibale Locale as well. This is usually the same as your current Locale with the suffix of .UTF-8.

Ideally, your database will use the UTFMB4 character set and the utfmb4_unicode_ci collation. This provides even more functionality such as being able to use most of the UTF-8 Emoji on your mobile device.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment