How to copy VB3 passwords into VB5 database?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbs9
    • Mar 2018
    • 3.7.x

How to copy VB3 passwords into VB5 database?

Hello!

We've got a VB5 forum up and running smoothly, but I realize now that I messed up a legacy system (VB3) user import the other day and didn't carry over their passwords properly. I have the "salt" and md5 hash of each of these user's passwords in the original VB3 database, and just need to copy that data over into the VB5 database (usernames are already in the VB5 system) so that their original VB3 passwords will start working again. But I'm at a complete loss on how to do this since the VB5 encryption method is different (blowfish). I read somewhere I can temporarily set the encryption method on a per-user basis to the legacy method, but I don't see the actual MySQL query to make that happen, and I don't see a "salt" field in the VB5 database.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I just need a quick pointer on how I'd format the MySQL query, i.e. would it be something like this?

UPDATE vb_user SET token='$salt', scheme='legacy', secret='$md5hash' WHERE username='billybob';

Thank you!
  • LockedOnLaw
    • Apr 2010
    • 6.X

There is no way to do this so far as I know. It would probably be easier to reset everyone's password and make them select a new one.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Their passwords should have been converted to the vBulletin 5 scheme of storing MD5 passwords when you upgraded. These passwords should still work one time. Once they log in, they will be upgraded to the more secure Blowfish password scheme.

What are the specific problems your users are having while logging in?

A query would be this:

UPDATE vb_user SET token=CONCAT('$md5hash',' ','$salt'), scheme='legacy', secret='$salt' WHERE username='billybob';

Should just let the system work though. Storing passwords in MD5 isn't the current industry standard. Blowfish allows you to make the creation/test of the hash take more time as processors get more powerful.
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 27 Feb '19, 2:50pm.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pbs9
        • Mar 2018
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        Their passwords should have been converted to the vBulletin 5 scheme of storing MD5 passwords when you upgraded.
        The problem was: we had 10 different completely separate VB3 installations, and I wanted to bring all the users together into one combined VB3 board and then upgrade that combined board to VB5. 9 of the 10 boards I combined using Impex, but on this particular board I only wanted to bring over the user accounts (not the posts/threads) so I just manually copied them over into the raw VB3 database using MySQL queries to copy over their salt and password hashes. Then I upgraded that combined board to VB5. Only later did I realize that when I copied over those VB3 users manually from this one board, I didn't set the password field correctly so they all have the same default password and not the ones they chose. But now its too late - the VB5 upgrade is complete, and I can't seem to bring that salted/hashed data into the VB5 database framework.

I was hoping I could just copy the salt and hash into the VB5 vb_user fields somehow and set scheme to "legacy" and it would work? But a few tests so far haven't been successful.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

In reality, these users should use the Password Reset system.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment