Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UKCobra
    • Aug 2002

How do I relabel New Topics ?

I have lots of complaints that the VB4 feature of New Posts is missing, and the concept of New Topics is actually labelled wrongly in my opinion.
    New Topics, does not only include New Topics, but New Posts related to Existing Topics.

So to appease my forum users, who mostly think VB5 was a big step backwards, I want to either introduce a New Posts search button, or relabel the New Topics button with a new name and educate them how to get the same information, with an extra click. They appear to forget the matter that the main feature we gained from VB5 was a better ability to post pictures in our threads.

With re-labelling it, I can get them to click on it, and then select the thread they are interested in, click on Latest Activity and they effectively have what they had before, albeit with an extra mouse click.

Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

1. Click "Navigation Bar" in the Site Builder Menu.
    2. Click the arrow to the right of Forum to select its sub-menu.
    3. Edit the Tab Text to fit your needs.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

UKCobra reading the upgrade thread on your forum, and the posts about this, some members are complaining about the fact that new topics/posts causes threads they already read to 'disappear' from the list. I know that on vB4/vB3 if you didn't use 'database thread marking' then users will have noticed this change.

May be worth exposing "Today's Posts" to registered members....it shows to guests only by default. This will then show all posts from the past 24 hours, read or unread, with the unread ones in bold. Might help out a bit. We have it showing like this here on this site. You can also manipulate the URL to show longer than 24 hours if you need to.

Apologies for intruding.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• UKCobra
        • Aug 2002

Thanks for the suggestions.

Had a look in the UserGroup settings, and cannot see how I activate Today's Posts. Had a look at the VB Manual and cannot find it described in there either.
        Is there a set of steps or a knowledge article I can refer to ?
        Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

You can set permissions on Navigation Items by editing them in Site Builder. Open the Navigation Bar tool and click the pencil icon to edit it. The will be a link to expose permissions.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment