X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amonline
    • Feb 2011
    • 4.1.x

Chrome Update & vBulletin "Back" Issue

I've confirmed this multiple times, but wanted to get some feedback here before creating a tracker.

It seems with the latest Chrome and/or vBulletin update, there is an issue with "back" in the browser when returning from a "new post" link. I've confirmed it both here at vB and on my own forum in Chrome. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome multiple times. I have verified the issue does not exist in Edge.

To replicate the issue in Chrome (you'll need new posts/replies at your forum to test, or you can test it here at vB), here are the steps:
    1. Use the "?goto=newpost" icon before the topic title on the left side.
    2. After being taken to the new post(s), attempt to return to the previous page with your back button.
    3. You should notice Chrome is choking on the "?..." and "#..." queries, and making it impossible to return to the previously viewed page... without multiple fast clicks (usually resulting in the wrong previous page) or physically choosing the previous page manually from the back button's drop down. (I use a mouse button for "back", but both routes react the same way)
    Can others confirm this for me? I'm not sure this should actually be a vB tracker issue, though. I think it is a Chrome issue.

Thanks!
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

I tried but I wasn't able to reproduce the issue. I was on Chrome 71. Then I tried updating to the latest 72 but still wasn't able to reproduce. The Back button works as expected.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• amonline
      • Feb 2011
      • 4.1.x

This makes it two people telling me they are having no problem, but this makes no sense to me. Especially, since I’ve literally uninstalled and reinstalled everything remotely related to Chrome. If anyone else can test this real fast, I’d appreciate it.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

It’s also worth noting that back buttons were never recommended for dynamic content sites like forums. The results can be unpredictable. I remember we used to tell people this in the vB3 days but it hasn’t come up recently.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• amonline
          • Feb 2011
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
          It’s also worth noting that back buttons were never recommended for dynamic content sites like forums. The results can be unpredictable. I remember we used to tell people this in the vB3 days but it hasn’t come up recently.
          Since I have only been experiencing this about 3-5 days now, and again with the reinstall, I have to think this is Chrome related. Chrome was updated about 4-5 days ago. The most weird part is two others have said they are not having the issue. I've literally uninstalled/reinstalled everything that touches this issue. (browser, extensions, mouse fw, etc.)

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Mar 2011
            • 5.7.X

What is the exact version of your Chrome and what OS? Mine is Chrome Version 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• OrganForum
              • Feb 2013
              • 5.7.X

Also unable to reproduce with Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit) or Version 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10.
              VB 5.7.2
              PHP 7.4
              MySQL 8.0.28

Comment

• amonline
                • Feb 2011
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
                What is the exact version of your Chrome and what OS? Mine is Chrome Version 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10.
                Latest Chrome, latest Win10 Pro. (sorry, not at the PC ATM)

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by amonline

Latest Chrome, latest Win10 Pro. (sorry, not at the PC ATM)
                  Please post back when you can provide the EXACT version.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Pagination and History is handled by Javascript. Make sure you are not blocking any Javascript from your vBulletin site.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• amonline
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 4.1.x

Mark, after so many issues with the latest Chrome (there were some extension issues also related to my using Dashlane), I gave up and went back to Firefox.

Wayne, I changed nothing on the site. The only change for me personally was Chrome updated around the time this started. However, I had another member or two check, and they weren't having the issue I was, so I gave up. I have no idea what it was. I had changed nothing. Chrome updated. It was the only possibility.

No replies necessary.

Comment

• amonline
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 4.1.x

Just wanted to update this topic... no replies are necessary...

This WAS a Chrome issue. I used Firefox for the past two weeks until Version 72.0.3626.109 was recently released. As of now, the issues I mentioned above are now gone.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Hmmm. I've been using Chrome and Chromium based browsers for over a decade and never had this problem. All I can think of is that an extension interfered with Javascript's history functionality. Could have been a Chromium bug that affected an extensions and was fixed in the latest version.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• amonline
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 4.1.x

Aaaaand, I have to report it is back. Made it through several hours and numerous browser boots last night without seeing the issue; and today it's doing it again. I've uninstalled/tested/reinstalled extensions (I only use Adblock Genesis & Dashlane), but this doesn't help at all. This issue seems "locked in" once it starts. Very disappointed I cannot find what is causing it. I'm going to try resetting Chrome's settings to default to see if that triggers something. I don't change much, but maybe it's in there somewhere.

Comment

• amonline
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 4.1.x

Geez! I finally found it! It's the Adblock Genesis extension. Once enabled, the issue begins.

No replies necessary. Chrome is NOT the issue. vB is NOT the culprit. (I ruled that out long ago in other browsers)

Comment