Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UKCobra
    • Aug 2002

Turn off Email notifications for all posts to all users

I am getting complaints from users following the move from VB4 to VB5 about too many email notifications about new posts. These are not threads they have subscribed to.

The only option I saw, on here was to disable all emails, which I think will stop all emails going out when registering.

Is there a way to stop these Post Notification emails going out ?
    I have looked around Channel Manger and within the User Groups set up, and I cannot see an option to turn these off.

Many thanks
    Mark
    Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There is no way to mass remove subscriptions from the system.

Registered Users will only receive notifications to topics they subscribe to. If they subscribe to individual Forums, then it is considered the same as subscribing to all topics within that forum. They can control how notifications happen on their Settings Page using the Notifications tab. This is a lot more advanced than it was in vBulletin 4.

You can control whether moderators or supermoderaters get notified for every post in the Moderator Permissions section of the AdminCP. Channel Management -> Moderator Permissions.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• UKCobra
      • Aug 2002

Hi Wayne,
      I am not sure this is indeed happening. I am getting people who have been forum users for 15 years, 2 posts in all that time complain about threads they have no interest in.
      So a global switch off, would be useful. And then allow people to re-activate any thread of interest.
      Can I un-subscribe people individually ?
      Webmaster - Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

You can remove a user's individual subscriptions by editing their user profile in the AdminCP and selecting Delete Subscriptions from the Quick User Links drop down at the top of the page.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• charlesr
          • Jan 2008
          • 4.2.X

I just had this. After switching from vb4 to vb5, a reported post email got sent to the entire forum instead of just to moderators and admins How can I stop this? (at least it tried to send to them all - I think the server got email banned after the initial flood - all the bounceback "address does not exist" I got were from low user ID numbers from the dawn of time) - for now I've uncommented the disable email = true in config.

EDIT Actually, unless anyone has any "obviously forgot this" thoughts, this sounds more like a ticket support kind of thing. I'll raise one.
          Last edited by charlesr; Wed 26 May '21, 6:28am.
          http://www.bordersdown.net - 10 years of videogame reviews and chat

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by charlesr
            After switching from vb4 to vb5, a reported post email got sent to the entire forum instead of just to moderators and admins How can I stop this?
            This would only happen if you have given the Registered Usergroup the "Can Moderate Posts" permission under Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager or Usergroups -> Channel Permissions.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• charlesr
              • Jan 2008
              • 4.2.X

Thanks. Looks like it was Looks like it was channel permissions. I'm unaware of what channels are, so I'll have to do some research. It looks like the damage was less than I thought though. Just a bunch of people that were moderators over the years since the dawn of time but are not any more and have somehow lingered due to whatever channels are.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Channels are forums, article categories, blogs, and groups. They hold content.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• charlesr
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Cool yeah, reading about it in the manual now. The "Home Page" channel, above "forum" has loads of old mods listed on it (some from ten plus years ago). In the old vb4 (which I still have, I can't see any sign of them / anywhere). I wonder why this hasn't happened to anyone else moving from vb4 to vb5? Is it worth raising as a bug/feature?

Comment