X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig
    • Jan 2008
    • 6.X

Auto Clear System Cache

Any plans to create a scheduled task to clear system cache automatically?
    adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

You wouldn't want the system to clear the cache automatically.

Comment

• Craig
      • Jan 2008
      • 6.X

Give me reasons why not?

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Comment

• In Omnibus
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by NumNum
        Give me reasons why not?
        The purpose of caching is to store data locally so that the web server does not have to call data from every resource on every page every time a page is loaded. If you clear the cache automatically your site will slow down considerably every time the cache is cleared unless you have no content and no activity.

Comment

• Craig
          • Jan 2008
          • 6.X

But what about a site on a shared server that gets timeouts due to memory load?

If a site is on a vps there isn’t so much an issue, but even then there is a performance boost when cache is cleared.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

But what about a site on a shared server that gets timeouts due to memory load?
            There there is a bug and the system should be repaired. The Cache should be self replenishing. There is actually code that should be deleting old keys and replacing them with new ones on a regular basis. It shouldn't need to be cleared out.

What is the memory limit you have the system set to? We test at 64 MB and larger sites (millions of nodes) probably need more.

What is the the specific out of memory error that you're getting on the screen?
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Craig
              • Jan 2008
              • 6.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              What is the memory limit you have the system set to? We test at 64 MB and larger sites (millions of nodes) probably need more.

What is the the specific out of memory error that you're getting on the screen?
              I’ll need to check when I get home.

there is no message other than the site is not accessible.

Comment

• Craig
                • Jan 2008
                • 6.X

I answered my own question, I think.

The host would block the website once it reached whatever memory limit it had set in place (I assume clear syscache provided some relief from that load). I do not know the setting as it was something they had in place to protect the other sites on the same server. The site in question has been moved to a managed vps, which gives insight to more server resource usage.

Furthermore I did not realize there was a memory limit built into the syscache and that it refreshed with newer content.

My apologies if my response in post #3 was curt.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                  In Omnibus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's not a problem. Just because I'm trying to help doesn't mean I'm being any help.
              • Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Furthermore I did not realize there was a memory limit built into the syscache and that it refreshed with newer content.
                It doesn't actually. The entire CACHE isn't loaded with every page load. What is cached are Query Results so they don't need to be run again for XX minutes. After the time period, the cache results would expire and be replaced with new results.

Since every user has an entirely different view of the site depending on their usergroup(s) and permission(s), the stored cache can get quite large. Customization of your site will dictate how large the cache can grow. By customization I mean modules (including options and permissions), usergroups and their permissions, plus channels and their permissions. It isn't relative to style customization.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

While it shouldn't be needed, I do have a scheduled task to do it in VB 5.x - https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=327063

Comment