X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bendiesel
    • Jan 2018
    • 5.3.x

customize articles titles font

Hi! i tested all fonts in styles variable editor, but i didn't found how to set a font for article title (red circle), or blog entries titles ?

example of "the title" from vbulletin.com:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.png
Views:	192
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	4407451

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

primary_module_header_font

However, this is probably not unique to this location.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bendiesel
      • Jan 2018
      • 5.3.x

thank you Luke !
      maybe it will be better if it was possible to customize titles (different fonts & colors) for articles and blogs in the CKEditor, is it possible to make it as "feature request" ?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

I am not sure if such a feature has much worth for the broad customer base. From my experience the majority of customers will just have a single style for the header. Of those the majority will change the style variable and call it a day. Some will use CSS to style the page title. Adding a completely separate editor instance to edit the title of each page seems like a lot of overkill. Time and effort would be better spent on other requests in my opinion.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
          In Omnibus commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd second this. From my experience members prefer consistency.
      • bendiesel
        • Jan 2018
        • 5.3.x

i understand, it sounds logical,,
        I had thought specifically if users can easily customize their differents blog entries,, but maybe vBulletin is more Forums then Blogging platform

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by bendiesel
          i understand, it sounds logical,,
          I had thought specifically if users can easily customize their differents blog entries,, but maybe vBulletin is more Forums then Blogging platform
          It's probably correct to say vBulletin is based more towards forums, as that's where it historically began.

It's been a long held view that the blogs should have a better UI....though I've certainly seen worse....but I think the point above is valid, what you mention is unlikely to be something that would be heavily used and thus wouldn't gain much traction. I've yet to see more than a handful of forums that even make regular use of the blogs at all. I think this is a pity, but members by and large are not that keen.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• In Omnibus
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Mark.B

It's probably correct to say vBulletin is based more towards forums, as that's where it historically began.

It's been a long held view that the blogs should have a better UI....though I've certainly seen worse....but I think the point above is valid, what you mention is unlikely to be something that would be heavily used and thus wouldn't gain much traction. I've yet to see more than a handful of forums that even make regular use of the blogs at all. I think this is a pity, but members by and large are not that keen.
            As someone whose own vBulletin forums tend to be on the long-form posting side of usage I can honestly say I don't use the blogs because the articles serve exactly the same function but are held to a much higher standard. The issue with blogs in general is that everyone thinks they are a writer. That is self-evidently not the case and many forum owners do not want their sites cluttered with poor writing. My articles are works that takes days, weeks, or even months to research, outline, write, read, analyze, and rewrite. Blogs tend to be random thoughts cobbled together without any regard for brevity, clarity, cogency, or empirical evidence. Most successful sites tend to be narrowly focused and concerned with the accuracy and presentation of information. These things are harder to control when everyone is permitted to blog.

Comment

• bendiesel
              • Jan 2018
              • 5.3.x

finally it will depend on the use of vBulletin, the more the owner appears on his site, the more personal it is, the less motivated users will be to create their own personal blogs in a personal environment of another person.

on the other hand, in my case for example, I use "articles" for professional news, and "Blogs" to allow passionate users to publish their personal content. what the blogging space provides is the engagement of the users: the bloggers & the subscribers. even the engagement (subscriptions) created in the space "forums" is due to a kind of microblogging more than the exchange of questions and answers that typically characterize the forums.

I think vBulletin should think about improving its space "blogs" in a future big update, for example just to start by installing the ability to customize with the CKEditor and setting the cover photo, that's what it will create the enthusiasm of the users and not the other way that we should wait for the engagement of the users to give more possibilities in the space blogging, which creates the commitment more than the other others spaces of vBulletin website.
              Last edited by bendiesel; Tue 29 Jan '19, 11:45pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

I think vBulletin should think about improving its space "blogs" in a future big update,
                We hear this all the time. However a statement with "improve" and no specifics is not something we can act on. Our idea of improvement is much different than yours. Personally, I think allowing end users to customize the title fonts is problematic and a usability nightmare. However, I don't make the decisions on what goes in the software and what doesn't. If I controlled what went into the software, then Blogs as they are never would have been added. Instead, people would post this type of content to their user profile page. Then you would have Articles, Forums, and Social Groups that all have their distinct identities.

for example just to start by installing the ability to customize with the CKEditor and setting the cover photo, that's what it will create the enthusiasm of the users and not the other way that we should wait for the engagement of the users to give more possibilities in the space blogging, which creates the commitment more than the other others spaces of vBulletin website.
                Unless these ideas get posted into the Issue Tracker including the specifics as to what you mean then they will never get implemented. Users can already use CKEditor when they create a Blog Post. Blogs also allow the creation of a blog icon to set it apart.
                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 30 Jan '19, 9:57am.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
                  In Omnibus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This always means "We think vBulletin should emulate WordPress" which would be purposeless to the primary use of forum software.
              • bendiesel
                • Jan 2018
                • 5.3.x

"emulate WordPress" is a simplistic shortcut of "evolution"

Comment

• In Omnibus
                  • Apr 2010

"emulate WordPress" is a simplistic shortcut of "evolution"
                  This is the official vBulletin site so they aren't going to promote a "competing" product. I will tell you that the time and effort in involved in constructing a blog like WordPress is such that it would need to be the sole or primary function of the software to justify the investment in research and development. If WordPress serves your needs there is absolutely no reason you cannot use it with your vBulletin forum software. I've constructed more than one site that opted for that design due to things like existing WordPress blogs or familiarity with WordPress. It can be made your landing page or it can be placed on a tab in the navigation bar. I wouldn't ordinarily suggest this but the level of customization you desire requires either a simpler program to customize or a fairly extensive knowledge of CSS.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Even "emulate wordpress" isn't helpful. What are we emulating here? What we need is specific suggestions. One for each suggested change.

The basic installation of Wordpress is just that, basic. It has a simple theme, lack of functionality, and is geared towards a single author. It can be enhanced with themes, plugins/addons, and other tools.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bendiesel
                      • Jan 2018
                      • 5.3.x

just to say it, i'm satisfied about what offer vBulletin, except some bugs but fortunately there is a great support... i like the minimalist clean professional style which contrasts with the trend of juvenile shiny pinky joyful platforms, but there will be always a way for vBulletin to do it in its way,, anyway
                      Last edited by bendiesel; Thu 31 Jan '19, 8:39am.

Comment