• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wesleyinman
    • Sep 2018
    • 5.3.x

Is somone trying to hack my VBulletin

Can someone here help me out?
    For the last week I am literally getting hundreds of "undelivered mail" notifications to my email address.

This is the email address that my account is registered under. However I am not sending anyone, any mail. I cannot explain how these messages are getting to my inbox.

The messages to name a portion of my forums name, but it is actually not the correct email or contact address. But I need to be sure that the Vbulletin security is not being attempted to be exploited.

Can someone please assist or give me their expertise? What else can I do to secure that no one can take over my administrators positions, or my vbulletin site? Thank you

HERE ARE THE EMAILS I AM GETTING

[email protected]
    Wed 1/16/2019, 5:45 PM

This is an automatically generated message from SendGrid.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that your message was not able to be
    delivered to one of its intended recipients.

If you require assistance with this, please contact SendGrid support.

vbpm:2721515:[email protected] : 550 The mail server could not deliver mail to [email protected]. The
    account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the
    proper dns entries.

• In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

Here's a good source for background information on sendgrid:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Sendgrid is the SMTP (Email) service used to handle all email from each Cloud Site. I suspect that if you search your users this person will be waiting in "Awaiting Email Confirmation." This is actually the system working to keep your site from being spammed. The email address used doesn't exist. So this user can't post on your site until their account is approved. At least with default permissions.

It has nothing to do with hacking.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mrs.T
        • Nov 2007
        • 6.0.X

We are getting the same except the message reads that the email has been rejected as spam. They are all from btinternet.com email addresses, from members who have tried to register. Looking at the members we are sure they are genuine people, but BT does from time to time seem to reject emails as spam even when they are not.

Comment

• Wesleyinman
          • Sep 2018
          • 5.3.x

Thank you guys.

I don't see anyone awaiting confirmation anywhere in my forum. But the messages are non stop. Would this mean multiple people are trying to register, or just one person?

The emails I am getting are always from that one address, which is not my address.

Sorry for being super confused. I am new to all of this.

Comment

• OrganForum
            OrganForum commented
            Editing a comment
            The Forum will send email notifications not only for registration purposes but also for subscription and PM notifications.

Go to your AdminCP and do a search for a user with the email address of [email protected] to view their account. You may just want to delete them to stop the flow of bounced mails.
        • Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle
          We are getting the same except the message reads that the email has been rejected as spam. They are all from btinternet.com email addresses, from members who have tried to register. Looking at the members we are sure they are genuine people, but BT does from time to time seem to reject emails as spam even when they are not.
          The users should contact their internet provider about whitelisting the SendGrid service.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mrs.T
            • Nov 2007
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

The users should contact their internet provider about whitelisting the SendGrid service.
            That's OK once we are able to contact them to suggest that but when they join they don't know that BT will treat their activation email as spam.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

I don't have a work around for that. It should be sent with the domain you have as the webmaster email but I don't have control over IP Addresses and the such. Wouldn't even know why BTInternet is flagging it as spam.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...