X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Actron
    • Mar 2018
    • 5.3.x

Problem with vb search

I have a big problem with the vb 5 database search.
    Some words are missing. When i search for for example: Bad Spies.... nothing will show up. If i add word "Spies" to exclude words in search settings all postings with "Bad" will show up... i think some words are blocked... but i don't know where this words are listet. Same with the word "plane" and many more...
    Can someone help me?
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

Check in the admincp under Message Searching Options

Comment

• Actron
      • Mar 2018
      • 5.3.x

Yes i have check this.
      I have no word under "Words to be excluded from search" but when i search in forum i can't find "Bad Spies". If i add the word "Spies" to "Words to be excluded from search" the search will find every post with "bad" included... including the post "Bad Spies"... so the word spies will be blocked even when i don't add the word to "Words to be excluded from search". I only add the word to find the post.... i will that vb find the word "spies" but it is not possible.
      There are other words vb can't find... and posts will not show up in search if i don't add it to "Words to be excluded from search". If i only search for "Spies" there will no post show up (no mater if the Word is on excluded words)

Comment

• In Omnibus
        In Omnibus commented
        Editing a comment
        Is your minimum search word length "4?" That would affect your ability to search the word "bad." Are you using the internal search or Sphinx?

• Actron
        Actron commented
        Editing a comment
        no i have set it to 3... a long time ago. And yes i have recreate the searchindex. I use the internal search... i never try sphinx. And the word "Bad" will show up after search... but not "spies"
    • Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Hmmm...

Spies is not in the /core/vb/badwords.php list. If you run a query against the words table in your database what are the results?

Code:
      select * from words where word like 'spies';
      If you have a table prefix defined in your /core/includes/config.php file, you will need to add it to the words table name.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Actron
        • Mar 2018
        • 5.3.x

After i made a query with your code above it will show ub following:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	GZu8QOi.png
Views:	282
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	4406186

Why this words in badwords.php are badwords? Can i remove some words without problem?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

What is the character set and collation of your database tables?

What is the HTML character encoding of your vBulletin Language? AdminCP -> Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager. Edit Settings for your language.

Words in the badwords list are there because of their commonality in language. They aren't "bad" words such as swearing. They are just used too often in common speech. Searching on them would often produce too many results and reduce the effectiveness of the search. It is recommended not to edit any core files. Any changes you make will just be overwritten with the next upgrade. You can add words to your list of words to search regardless of this list in the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> Message Searching Options.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Actron
            • Mar 2018
            • 5.3.x

Database: utf8mb4_unicode_ci
            Vb 5: language de_DE, UTF-8

Is there a chance to find the word "spies" in vb? Same problem with "plane". When i do a query in db it finds the word "pläne"

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

de_DE, UTF-8
              remove the de_De, from the HTML Character set. You can only have one character set defined here. It looks like you have combined a Locale that doesn't support UTF-8 with a UTF-8 character set in this field. This will never provide valid results.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Actron
                • Mar 2018
                • 5.3.x

Soory I did not express myself clearly:

Name:	dJYDn06.png
Views:	254
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	4406266
                It is not in the same row.

Comment

• Actron
                  • Mar 2018
                  • 5.3.x

I see in phpmyadmin there are two diverent collations:

Name:	XML04aF.png
Views:	263
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	4406268

When i click on forum database:

Name:	ItMMrMt.png
Views:	173
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	4406269

Comment

• delicjous
                    • Mar 2014
                    • 6.X

This seems to be not a problem with special characters because there aren't any of it in your search-words bad or spies. Try to change local in your german language to de_DE.utf-8, rebuild your search-index and try to search again.
                    There is a problem with rebuild search-index with special characters and non utf-8 locals. de_DE is using iso in common and the local is not set as utf-8 in some cases.

You should use the sql:

Code:
                    select * from words where word = 'spies'
                    because 'like' perhaps a problem if special characters in your table.

Comment

• Actron
                      • Mar 2018
                      • 5.3.x

It don't work... same problem after rebuild search index. Only Word ID has change after i do a query to "spies". Is it possible to add it manual? Or is there another solution?

*edit* I remove "the" from the badword list. Try to search this word in forum... but no match.
                      Last edited by Actron; Tue 15 Jan '19, 8:22am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Actron
                        *edit* I remove "the" from the badword list. Try to search this word in forum... but no match.
                        You would have to rebuild the searchindex after every edit to this file.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Actron
                          • Mar 2018
                          • 5.3.x

Ok i rebuild the search index after remove all word in "badwords.php". Now most words will be found..... but i have some words thei will not show up in database (query) and when i search in vb.... here are a cupple of words i can't find in vb search: next, your, youre, with, all
                          Where are this words listet?? How can i add this words??

*edit* I change word "spieß" to "spies" in database... now de word will be found.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Actron
                            Ok i rebuild the search index after remove all word in "badwords.php". Now most words will be found..... but i have some words thei will not show up in database (query) and when i search in vb.... here are a cupple of words i can't find in vb search: next, your, youre, with, all
                            Where are this words listet?? How can i add this words??
                            Why would you want to? youre isn't a valid word. None of the words in the badwords.php file add value to a search. The system does not do natural language searches.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...