Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Actron
    • Mar 2018
    • 5.3.x

Because we have something like a movie database. Some movie titels include this words.... so it's impossiple to find the movie "Next" in title on vb. Thats why i will add some words to the search index.
    Last edited by Actron; Wed 16 Jan '19, 3:58pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

But you can simply add that word in the "Words to include" box within the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> Message Searching Options.

You shouldn't edit the badwords.php file. We're just going to remove your changes the next time you upgrade. Then if you rebuild the search index, the changes will be overwritten.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-17_10-32-10.png
Views:	140
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	4406563

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Actron
        • Mar 2018
        • 5.3.x

Thanks for your answer.
        But when i add this word, it search for "next" but don't find something.... but i know there is a post with this word. Have i to recreate search index again?

*edit* New posts with the word next will be found... but not the old one... so i have to recreate seachindex... again
        Last edited by Actron; Thu 17 Jan '19, 2:25pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Yes. Every time you change the settings for the search, you have to rebuild the search engine. Otherwise, only new content will be indexed with the changes.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Actron
            • Mar 2018
            • 5.3.x

Ok thanks a lot. Finally the problem is fixed!
            But i still don't know why some words not will be indexed from beginning? Where are this words listet? These words can't be listet in bad words... because after remove it from badwords i recreate the search index....

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

What words?

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Actron
                • Mar 2018
                • 5.3.x

Here are a small word list they will not be found on VB if i don't add it to "Words to include": next, your, with, all, first, take, off, something, name, see, ....

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Those are all common English words and typically provide no value if they are indexed. Your best bet is to add them to the word list. Maintaining a list of "bad words" for searching is a common practice. Search is often the most performance intensive function of a website and steps have to be put into place to control this. The word list probably works for 90% of our English customers, our largest customer base. The option is there if it doesn't work for you so you can add the words you need. It will hold 16 Million characters so you can probably add all the words you need.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Actron
                    • Mar 2018
                    • 5.3.x

Yes it's great for a normal forum.... but i am one of the 10%
                    The only thing is that i don't know which word are listet under common words... i will see it only after posting... so i have to rebuild the search index every time again... and it take a long time with over 31'000 topics and 44'000 posts (fast growing).
                    A cool option for vb5 are, when there is an option to switch on common words for indexing by search. It will fit to 100% to your english (and oder language) customers

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

If you manage your own server or Virtual Machine, you might want to look into using Sphinx Search. This is an alternative search engine for vBulletin and allows greater flexibilty without editing vBulletin's files. Then you can edit the stopword or common word list for it so keyword searches work better for you.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...