Subsciption permissions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cb1100r
    replied
    Thanks guys, I will get around to that request so you suggest.

I have about 50 User Groups and each year I have to create at least three different subscriptions will apply to just a small percentage of the user groups to roll over memberships from different parts of the world. I came to realise that despite the ultimate flexibility in VBulletin to do this it created a administrative headache with allocated the new subscriptions to limited User Groups, for the single reason that a new subscription would default to apply to all User Groups (ALL ON) and I had to manually turn each one off... nightmare.
    Obviously it could work the other way for other boards where, if the default was ALL OFF they'd have to turn them all on. So the Toggle control as suggested (or I will suggest), exactly the same as in the Channel Permissions, seems obvious.... well to me at least ;0)

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by cb1100r
    As mentioned the Channel Permssions control has this facility... why not extend the same facility to Subscriptions. I'm very disappointed this hasn't been changed since V4.
    It can't be a hard update to code in can it?
    Don't recall ever seeing a feature request for this. We cannot know what changes a customer wants without a request.

Offhand. How many usergroups do you have? Few customers move beyond the defaults. Even fewer customers use Paid Subscriptions. That could be why it wasn't requested in the past.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by cb1100r
    Thanks Wayne, that's a useful guide and explanation.

the last part of your reply is the crux of my difficulty though: I have to go through each group to restrict Subscriptions and this can be very time consuming
    and tedious for the sake of having a 'toggle' to turn off ALL User Groups for any particular subscription.
    As mentioned the Channel Permssions control has this facility... why not extend the same facility to Subscriptions. I'm very disappointed this hasn't been changed since V4.
    I can't be a hard update to code in can it?
    You are welcome to raise an improvement request in the tracker (link at the top of the page) and the developers will review it.
    There is no guarantee it would ever be implemented, but this is the only way to have any changes considered for the software.

Leave a comment:

• cb1100r
    replied
    Thanks Wayne, that's a useful guide and explanation.

the last part of your reply is the crux of my difficulty though: I have to go through each group to restrict Subscriptions and this can be very time consuming
    and tedious for the sake of having a 'toggle' to turn off ALL User Groups for any particular subscription.
    It can't be a hard update to code in can it?
    Last edited by cb1100r; Sat 12 Jan '19, 9:24am.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Paid Subscriptions work exactly the same as they did in vBulletin 4. All it does it either change the user's Primary or add a Secondary usergroup for the duration of the subscription. Just like in vBulletin 4, you manage usergroups and their permissions separately. Just like in vBulletin 4, the children of a channel will inherit permissions from the parent. If you want to deny access to Articles for a usergroup, you edit the user group and click "All No." All of its children will be denied at the same time. You can do this for Forums, Articles, Blogs and Groups. The only difference is that instead of going to four different places to manage channel permissions like it was in vBulletin 4, you can do this in one location now.

Users can have a single primary usergroup and multiple additional usergroups. If you want to augment a user's permissions with a Paid Subscription, you would set up the Paid Subscription to add an Additional Usergroup. You can check multiple Additional Usergroups and the user will be added to all of them. The additional usergroup(s) would give access whatever channels they should be able to access and override any NO Permissions from the primary group.

You can restrict the ability to purchase Paid Subscriptions to specific usergroups under Paid Subscriptions -> Subscription Permissions. You have to go through each group. This interface hasn't changed since vBulletin 4.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 11 Jan '19, 1:12pm.

Leave a comment:

• cb1100r
    replied
    Hi Wayne,

So you're aware I've just upgraded to V5 from V4 and on the learning curve of the new terminology

Subscription Permissions is under Paid Subscriptions. I see the V4 CMS structure is now under Channels.

The 'chore' I've had in the past that V5 doesn't seem to have made any better is that when I create a new subscription that I only want very limited User Groups to access I have to go through all the User Groups and set the 'Can Use Description' toggle to 'No'. There was not way of toggling all the User Groups in V4 and it seems the same in V5.
    In Channel Permissions you can 'Deny All' or 'Reset'. Why not have this for Subscription permisssons too. It's taken me hours to reset all my User Groups and Subscriptions at time for want of this basic facility.

As I asked.... am I missing something in V5 in limiting any new subscriptions to single or very limited User Groups?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I don't know what you mean by "Subscription Permissions."

What specifically are you trying to change?

Leave a comment:

• cb1100r
    started a topic Subsciption permissions

Subsciption permissions

Subscription permissions are all set to 'ON' by default. Is there any way of turning them all 'OFF' without having to go through every User Group in every permission manally.
    I've just upgraded to V5 and hoped there would be a way of doing this in this later version. It needs the same 'Deny All' and 'Reset' toggle like in the Channel Permissions page.

I really hope I'm missing a trick as using subscriptions is a real pain for my board because of this..

Thanks in advance