System stops sending notification emails if user does not visit the forum to read subscribed topic

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark.hs
    • Dec 2016

System stops sending notification emails if user does not visit the forum to read subscribed topic

Received an interesting message from a user today. He said he was not receiving new message notifications via email after being subscribed to a thread. We initial thought it was a mail sever or spam issue, but he did some more testing and he wrote the following:

**** from user ******
    A new message gets posted, I click the link in the e-mail and I read the post (and any additional ones that have been made since the e-mail was sent). All is right in the world, life is good. I continue to get an e-mail when the first new post is made and as long as I go read the thread all is still well.

If I get an e-mail telling me there is a new post and I ignore it and I do not visit the thread I will never get another e-mail when new posts are made in the thread. I firmly believe this is what is happening to me.

I could not find a setting that I could change that would send me e-mails when a new post is made even when I don't visit the thread. Is that something that can be changed?

With RCGroups (a large forun running VB 4.x) I subscribe to a thread, read some posts and get e-mails about new posts even when I do go to the forum. That's how I like to work. That allows me to not have to visit the thread every single time and I can read up on posts when I'm ready.

**** end of user message ***

Is there a way to fix this or change this setting?
    Admin for hobbysquawk.com
    VB 5.74
    PHP 8.2
    Maria DB 10.6
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

It is designed to work this way so the user doesn't get spammed with emails. It will send a notification on the first reply on a topic and does not send another one until they visit the topic.

The system works like this in vBulletin 4 by default as well. The example site probably has an addon that changes this behavior.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mark.hs
      • Dec 2016

That's what I figured. Thanks Wayne
      Admin for hobbysquawk.com
      VB 5.74
      PHP 8.2
      Maria DB 10.6

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...