• Show
Clear All
  • imgnrm
    • Mar 2017
    • 5.3.x

Image attachments..

Hello,
    I have 2 questions.

#1. I've uploaded several photos and it reached to quota I set up so I couldn't upload any additional images more. so I removed all the images from my posts. but it keeps showing the same 'Upload Failure' Message even after removing all the images. Then how can I or site users can upload more images? In the photo album displays that there is no images but I can't have any quota to upload an image.

#2.
    I would like to remove my or other users' old images for site maintenance. So I went to "Attachments" in Admin CP side menus and tried to search / view oldest attachments to maintain them. but it shows nothing even after I uploaded photo files.

How can I manage attachments that other users attached or uploaded?I need this feature to maintenance site.

Please advise me.

Thank you.

*Attached is "attachment manager" which doesn't show anything and its next UI.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

1) Go to Settings -> Options -> Message Attachment Options. Either turn off the global quota by setting its value to 0 or increase it.

2) This is a known issue. I don't have any time frame for resolution.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• imgnrm
      • Mar 2017
      • 5.3.x

Then, can I remove the uploaded images manually?
      so that users can upload more images.. I have also server quota so if I set up it '0' it might be full.
      Is there any way I can way around?

Where are all images uploaded when users upload images?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

The only way at this time is to use the Advanced Search, edit the topics and remove the attachments.

Where are all images uploaded when users upload images?
        Depends on your settings. By default, they are stored in the database. However the recommended is to store them on the file system. Do not delete records in the database manually. You can make your vBulletin inoperable. If you delete files out of the file system, it will not resolve you issue because the internal quotas are still stored in the database.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Claire SR
          • Apr 2017
          • 5.2.x

Is there a way to store images or attachments in a specific path/or folder in FTP? so that I can remove those files for a certain time.

Please advise me.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

You can store attachments in the file system under Attachments -> Attachment Storage Type in the AdminCP. They will be store by userid and filedataid.attach in the file system if you configure this.

Deleting files from the file system will result in broken links within your posts.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Claire SR
              • Apr 2017
              • 5.2.x

or is there any way I can remove old image attachments from database without using 'Attachment Storate'? or Prune pages? I would like to prune old image attachments due to limit of server spaces.. would you please advise me?

Thank you for your hard work always.

Comment

• Claire SR
                • Apr 2017
                • 5.2.x

Wayne,

I was confused between 'Upload Attachments' and 'Upload Photos using Photo Album' buttons.

When I attached 5 images by clicking 'Upload Attachments' button, if I want to view an image bigger, I should click each thumbnails and go back to previous page to click another images 4 more times.

Here is the dilemma.

If I upload images with 'Upload Attachments' button, it makes me easy to delete old images through 'Attachment type Manager' but it also makes users difficult to see all the images in one page ..
                and..
                If I upload photos with 'Upload More' button using Photo Album, it makes users easy to see all the images with gallery but it makes me hard to delete/maintain old images.

Is there any way I upload image attachments but see them like Gallery as those in photo album? so that I can also maintain photos easily?

please advise me.

thank you

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Not at this time.

Originally in the development of vBulletin 5 -
                  1. Images would always be part of a gallery and be visible in a slide show. You can edit these Photo Galleries to remove the images from them.
                  2. Non-Image files would be considered attachments and handled in a separate manager.
                  During the Alpha and Beta phases, users wanted the ability to insert images inline and manage them as attachments. This was added based on customer feedback and created two systems that allow users to handle images. This change based on feedback has actually stunted development of both features because all work is doubled. Most work has been focused into the Inline Image management so people can create richtext articles and discussions. In the end, it comes down to resources in changing things. The vBulletin Team is small by design. This limits resources. Adding members to the development team adds as many problems as it solves.

I do want to make sure that I am not blaming customers. We want to fulfill their needs. The pivot has added a lot of work into the team over the years and we're simply not at a point to refactor images and attachments at this moment.

My recommendation is to turn off the Photo Galleries if you want to manage all attachments through the Attachment Manager in the AdminCP. You can do this by removing the "Can Create Gallery" permission from your usergroups.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Claire SR
                    • Apr 2017
                    • 5.2.x

Thank you for your explanation. I think removing the Gallery permission is the best for now.
                    Thanks

Comment