• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aagcrc
    • Jul 2018
    • 4.2.x

vBulletin5 issues editing usernames

Hi
    I'm the admin of a vBulletin vBulletin 5.3.4 forum, I need to reset a password for an username
    When I go to the admincp -> search for users, then edit the user, the USER screen is empty, all fields are basically empty.
    If I search another user it works fine, so the problem is with few usernames

How to fix this issue?

I tried running this query, but no luck :

UPDATE user SET secret=MD5('n3wpassw0rd') WHERE userid = 141;
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

That query is not valid in vBulletin 5. It can be used to reset the MD5 passwords of very early versions of vBulletin 3. Using this query on a user will make them unusable. In your version of vBulletin 5, the password is stored as a Blowfish (bcrypt) hash with a randomized salt generated at the time of hash creation. We don't even know what the salt is. The secret field doesn't even store the user's password in vBulletin 5. It stores a 30 digit random salt used with the legacy password scheme from later versions of vBulletin 3 and vBulletin 4. That scheme is md5(md5(password).salt). We consider this scheme to be insecure for modern software so after users login for the first time with it, we will store their password with the new Blowfish scheme.

The first thing you'll need to do to resolve your issues with the software is to upgrade to vBulletin 5.4.4 as soon as possible. 5.3.4 is out of date and no longer supported. You should always use the latest version of the software.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• aagcrc
      • Jul 2018
      • 4.2.x

Thank you for your help.
      I have just updated the forum to version 5.4.5

And I just tried again to edit the username, and the info its blank, I cannot edit it.

Comment