When approving topics with attachments from new users, topic becomes invisible when attachment is approved.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amonline
    • Feb 2011
    • 4.1.x

When approving topics with attachments from new users, topic becomes invisible when attachment is approved.

I've created this ticket. If you have experienced this issue, please vote it up. https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18706

Here are the details...

We use a "first three posts require approval" rule. This "disappearance" bug happens on any new topic with attachment(s) posted by a new member under 4 posts; if the post and attachments are not approved together at once.

When the post and or attachment(s) are approved separately, the topic disappears/becomes invisible in the forum it is posted in or moved to. (Note: The topic only disappears upon approval of the attachment(s) separately.)

If this is all not carefully noticed during the approval process, or a member is attaching images subsequently during a moderation approving of the post, it leads to "missing" topics, and PMs from members asking where their post(s) has gone.

This triggers many steps needed by the moderator/admin to find the post through the member's profile. (the only place it can be found) Once located, it must all be unapproved, and re-approved to show visible in the forum once again. Coming back to this at a later time becomes quite a time-consuming task, as you can see.

Here are the steps to replicate the issue...

(remember, these are topics by new moderated members that have subsequent attachment(s) to approve)
    1. View unapproved topic by new member in a forum. (from latest posts or notification center)
    2. Approve topic. (probably need to add that attachments are approved at the same time to remedy this)
    3. Visit Notification Center > Moderation Tab
    4. Approve attachments.
    5. Return to forum where topic was located.
    6. Topic will be invisible.
    7. Visit user's profile.
    8. Find topic listed in user's posts/topics.
    9. Visit topic from this link to view it.
    10. Unapprove topic.
    11. Approve topic.
    12. Topic will be visible in the forum once again.

Here is the work-around...

I have found that selecting "all" and approving at once in the Notification Center > Moderation tab bypasses the issue. However, this does not allow one to see the posts and images prior to approval. This leads to visiting the topic first to see the content.

However, some users will come back and post images later (or happen to add them during the time I have approved the post), and then the issue is immediately present. To correct the issue, one must now find the missing post through the member's profile (the only way it can be located), unapprove the entire post and its attachments, and re-approve it to make it appear in the forum.

Obviously, this issue creates a considerable amount of steps and wasted time to remedy and or correct.

Other info...

FWIW/FYI, we use Wayne's "approval setup" located here: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/arti...new-users-only
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

This is a known issue and I believe there is a JIRA on it already.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• amonline
      • Feb 2011
      • 4.1.x

Is it mine you’re talking about? It’s been ignored for two months. This is why I’m asking. I was lead to believe I was the only one pointing this out. If there is another ticket, please post the link.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

A Bug Report is not a Ticket. Technical Support is not provided via Bug Reports. Bug Reports are handled by the developers based on priority and time available.

We only need one bug report.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• amonline
          • Feb 2011
          • 4.1.x

I used the wrong words. I get it.

My tracker, which you eluded was the first report over two months ago has been ignored since the first day. Thus, I'm not psychic. I even provided you steps you asked for. Not one peep since.

I'm tired of your elusive responses to me, Wayne. You've done this to me for many years now. No other vB rep gives me this grief. Just you.

I was not asking for "technical support". I reported a valid bug - as we're supposed to. I'm simply asking that you follow through, update, and reply to a report when someone gives you what you ask for. To this day, I had no idea what was going on.

Do you have a link to the active tracker or not? I'd like to monitor the progress of this issue.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Here is your issue - https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18706

It is probably an effect of this underlying issue: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-13326

Which also causes this issue along with a custom product on this site: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18798

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• amonline
              • Feb 2011
              • 4.1.x

Thank you.

Just FYI, I reported that last one many months ago... https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-17972

I'd still appreciate it if this one can get updated as progress is made. https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18706

Not sure if you can tie it to the other. (your second link)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

You can click on the star icon on any issue in Bug Genie and you will receive email updates every time they are changed.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• amonline
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 4.1.x

You’re obviously not getting my point that there is a need to communicate something (some form of acknowledgment) in ten weeks. Just forget it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

There are no update on the issue. I am telling you how to get notified if there are updates. I don't decide what issues get fixed or when. I give input but it isn't always followed. Also 1 out 5 open issues have been created by myself over the last 6 years. Unless it is a critical issue, an issue can't jump the line.

Hopefully, VBV-13326 solves the issue. However, I don't have access to this fix yet. If it does, then I can have some updated information.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• amonline
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 4.1.x

Last reply...

What I’m trying to say is THIS should have been added to the report long ago. In fact, ten weeks ago, with your first and only response; especially since your reference is from July. I finally had to come post in the forum just to get a response. That’s my point.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      ...It is probably an effect of this underlying issue: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-13326

Which also causes this issue along with a custom product on this site: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18798
                      There needs to be better communication in the tracker.

No reply to this topic necessary, Wayne.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...