X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • munsterfans
    • Aug 2018
    • 5.3.x

System Error

On several occasions, the site has gone completely offline, with the following error:

-----------------
    A System Error has occured.

The software is experiencing a systems error.

You should attempt to repeat your last action. If this error occurs again, please contact the site administrator.
    -----------------

Setting debug mode to true and then back to false in /config.php fixes it, but the real error is never shown, even when debug mode is on true. A reboot of the server doesn't solve the issue either. Is there any other way of seeing what the real error is?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Debug mode shouldn't fix any problems, it's designed to show the error and that's all.

Make sure you follow the full debug mode instructions for vB5:

Debug mode is useful for development purposes- it is required if you will be creating VB5 Modifications you intend to distribute for others to download. However it is also useful for trouble-shooting issues with your site as debug mode often provides more specific error messages when something goes wrong- as such if you are
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• munsterfans
      • Aug 2018
      • 5.3.x

Yes, as soon as I set debug mode to true in the first file, the site starts working again. I just then disable debug mode to remove the debug box from the bottom of the pages. It's the only way I can get the site working again.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

This error is most often shown when the system cannot connect to MySQL for some reason. There should be a record in the server's error_log. You can look in your hosting directory to see if this file exists or contact your host and ask them for a copy.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment