Upgrade 4.2.4 to 5.4.4: over 4m post and over 4m attach....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LemonMiao
    • Sep 2018
    • 5.3.x

[Bug / Issue] Upgrade 4.2.4 to 5.4.4: over 4m post and over 4m attach....

Hi, I decided to update vBulletin 4.2.4 to version 5.4.4.

I've done a test upgrade on a dedicated server (xeon 12 core, 64gb ram, raid ssd), I have a dedicated database server (xeon 8 core, 128gb ram, raid ssd), upgrade lasted 3 days! (Sigh!).
    Attachment conversion took 95% of total time ...
    I guess there's no way to speed up the right thing?
    The upgrade procedure was done by shell.

Currently my database has different settings, some tables are in InnoDB and others in MyISAM, could this be a problem? Should I set them all the same? (if yes, which one do I choose?) and this could lead to future problems?

Currently the test server is configured with:
    Ubuntu 18.04 Nginx / 1.14.0 (Ubuntu)
    mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.61, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 6.3
    PHP 7.2.10-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (fpm-fcgi) (built: Sep 13 2018 13:45:02) Copyright (c) 1997-2018
    The PHP Group Zend Engine v3.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2018
    Zend Technologies with Zend OPcache v7.2.10-0ubuntu0.18.04.1, Copyright (c) 1999-2018, by Zend Technologies
    APCu Version 5.1.9

1st Problem: PHP message: PHP Warning: apc_fetch (): apc_fetch () expects a string or array of strings. in /var/www/forums/core/vb/cache/apc.php on line 104 "while reading response header from upstream, client: XXXXX, server: XXXXX, request:" GET / forums / privatemessage / list / 292297/1 HTTP / 1.1 ", upstream:" fastcgi: // unix: /var/run/php/php7.2-fpm.sock: ", host:" XXXXX ", referrer:" https: // XXXXX / forums / privatemessage / subscribers / 0/1 "

2nd Problem: 2018/09/30 19:26:31 [error] 25605 # 25605: * 5985 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning: sizeof (): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements it in / var / www / forums / includes / vb5 / frontend / applicationlight.php on line 517 "while reading response header from upstream, client: XXXXX, server: XXXXX, request:" GET / forums / filedata / fetch? id = 12776030 & d = 1537863062 HTTP / 1.1 ", upstream:" fastcgi: // unix: /var/run/php/php7.2-fpm.sock: ", host:" XXXXX ", referrer:" https: // XXXXX / forums / forum / XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX "

Thank you for the support, and I apologize for my English from "automatic translator"
  • LemonMiao
    • Sep 2018
    • 5.3.x

2.1 Problem: 2018/10/01 17:26:13 [error] 25603#25603: *20890 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /var/www/forums/includes/vb5/frontend/applicationlight.php on line 517" while reading response header from upstream, client: 108.162.229.115, server: XXXXX , request: "GET /forums/filedata/fetch?id=12775564&d=1537818071 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php/php7.2-fpm.sock:", host: "XXXXX "

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Both problems 1 and 2 are warnings. They shouldn't affect the actual outcome. Issue #2 is fixed in 5.4.4. https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18605

For best results, tables should use the innodb file format except for language, phrase, and usertext field if you're using a version of MySQL before 5.7.X

There is no easy way to speed up the upgrade system. If you have your attachments stored in the database, moving them to the file system before upgrade may give some performance enhancements. If you're not using PHP 7.1 and MySQL 5.7.X, then those may give you some performance enhancements. However it is going to take time. It is more of an import than a standard upgrade. vBulletin 5 has a completely different file structure. However, once you get past the 5.0.0 Alpha steps, future upgrades will be much faster due to the new database structure.
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 1 Oct '18, 9:34am.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• LemonMiao
        • Sep 2018
        • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        Both problems 1 and 2 are warnings. They shouldn't affect the actual outcome. Issue #2 is fixed either in 5.4.4 or 5.4.5, I'd have to look it up.

Ok, I have 5.4.4, so I have to wait 5.4.5, I guess there's no release date?

There is no easy way to speed up the upgrade system. If you have your attachments stored in the database, moving them to the file system before upgrade may give some performance enhancements. If you're not using PHP 7.1 and MySQL 5.7.X, then those may give you some performance enhancements. However it is going to take time. It is more of an import than a standard upgrade. vBulletin 5 has a completely different file structure. However, once you get past the 5.0.0 Alpha steps, future upgrades will be much faster due to the new database structure.

I currently have the attachments on disk and not on the database.
        Ok, surely the next step will be to update mysql at 5.7 and wait for 5.4.5.

Thank you so much for the answer.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

I've updated my post above.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• LemonMiao
            • Sep 2018
            • 5.3.x

I'm confused now. If it was patched in 5.4.4, which I currently have, what should I do?

Thanks

Comment

• LemonMiao
              • Sep 2018
              • 5.3.x

Another error:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	4399624Click image for larger version

Name:	22.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	4399625

When I try to get into a discussion of mine (with several posts active inside), I sometimes get this error.
              I have to clear the vbulletin cache to get the discussion working again.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

That error means that the cache and cacheevent tables are empty and can't be rebuilt. Don't know what would cause that. You would need to create a support ticket so we can look at the server directly and put the issues into proper context.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

It is suggested by the developers to switch to Memcached over APC/APCU. At this time, there is no schedule to update the code for APC/APCU.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment