• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig
    • Jan 2008
    • 6.X

[Bug / Issue] server timeout step 22 5.4.3

What causes this on the server?

I have a very finicky site and always have timeout issues.

Presently on step 22 and get a timeout, very frustrating!

I should add refreshing doesn't finish it. It does restart and pick up where it left off, but wont complete it.
    Last edited by Craig; Tue 25 Sep '18, 4:27am.
    adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

How much memory do you allocate to PHP scripts? Increase it to 256 MB and see if the upgrade completes. Or you can switch to the command line and run the upgrade from the core/install folder using the command: php upgrade.php

We've made some changes to the install scripts in 5.4.5 so hopefully that will alleviate some of these issues. However, the issue was seen primarily in the command line upgrade, which doesn't jive with real world experiences.

Deleting unused themes from the AdminCP and from the /core/install/themes directory before upgrading should also help with this issue.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      • Aug 2000

A couple of follow up questions -----

Are you storing CSS in the file system? Settings -> Options -> Style & Language Options.
      Going to Maintenance -> View PHP Info in the Admin CP. What are the values for hard_timeout, max_execution_time, and max_input_time?

Wayne Luke
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Craig
        • Jan 2008
        • 6.X

The PHP memory limit is 256.

I need to look into the command line with this host, not sure if I have access to it on a shared server or not. This would be a viable option if I have access.

Glad to hear about 545 changes, that will help with this host for sure.

I did a little digging as I had the same problem with the same host, and you assisted me with that. You recommended a few things then;

1) You can increase the max execution time in PHP and the corresponding value in your web server configuration. However, this can increase resources for the entire server.

2) Delete themes that you are not using from the AdminCP and their corresponding directories in /core/includes/install/themes before running the upgrade. This will limit theme choices but speed up those last few upgrade steps.

Item one is set on the server at 120. I'm not a server guy so I don't know where that falls in the median range.

I had to revert to item two again and deleted the extra styles, and it finished the update.

CSS is indeed stored in the files system.

max_execution_time is 120
        max_input_time is 60

As for the Hard time out all I could find is;
        Read timeout 31536000
        default_socket_timeout 60

adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Thanks. I have passed the information on to the developers.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment