Cannot login to Admin CP after update vB to 5.4.4

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NLP-er
    • Aug 2008

I have other forum in other configuration on other serwet with vB5.4.4 and it works fine (I wrote it here), what doesn't means that you do not have bug in your security. First thing you are aware on some issues in that matter (you descirbed yourself, that security works against logged user). And it seems that there are more issues with your security which you dit not find yet. I'm victim of your security bug. And it is your bug, because the issue started after update and all plugins are dissabled. Symptoms also just screams BUG - I'm logged in but redirected to login form it is clear (I already described cleaning counter of bad logins and going to framed page with 3 login forms). You can deny, I see it this way and since I'm programmer it is clear for me. "Its working on my computer" doesn't make your product bug free.

As I see it now I need to restore whole system from backup, since you will not support me, and I will not pay you for fixing your own bugs.
    vBulletin Enterprise Translator (vBET) - your forum in 52 languages!

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by NLP-er
      I have other forum in other configuration on other serwet with vB5.4.4 and it works fine (I wrote it here), what doesn't means that you do not have bug in your security. First thing you are aware on some issues in that matter (you descirbed yourself, that security works against logged user). And it seems that there are more issues with your security which you dit not find yet. I'm victim of your security bug. And it is your bug, because the issue started after update and all plugins are dissabled. Symptoms also just screams BUG - I'm logged in but redirected to login form it is clear (I already described cleaning counter of bad logins and going to framed page with 3 login forms). You can deny, I see it this way and since I'm programmer it is clear for me. "Its working on my computer" doesn't make your product bug free.

As I see it now I need to restore whole system from backup, since you will not support me, and I will not pay you for fixing your own bugs.
      There is no 'security bug'. We have offered to assist but you need to have a valid support contract for us to take the matter further. That is in accordance with your license and support do not have the power to change this.

For something to be a bug it needs to be able to be replicated, which we are unable to do. If you are a programmer you surely know this.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

You can purchase a support contract, open a ticket, and have us fix the issue or not. The choice is yours. We have no idea what is causing your problem and need a support ticket to fix it.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• NLP-er
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Mark.B

There is no 'security bug'. We have offered to assist but you need to have a valid support contract for us to take the matter further. That is in accordance with your license and support do not have the power to change this.

For something to be a bug it needs to be able to be replicated, which we are unable to do. If you are a programmer you surely know this.
          The fact you are not able to replicate the bug do not make it dissapear. And because I'm programer I know exactly opposite thing that you are writing here. You need replication to solve the bug not to admit the bug exists. Also I'm able to reproduce the bug - It happens every time I'm trying to login.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          You can purchase a support contract, open a ticket, and have us fix the issue or not. The choice is yours. We have no idea what is causing your problem and need a support ticket to fix it.
          I'm paying for my mistakes - you should pay for yours. Asking me, to pay for your bugs, is ridiculous idea. I already wrote you that I'm not paying you for fixing your own security bugs. I thought I make it clear.

Comment

• In Omnibus
            • Apr 2010

A) You are the only person having this issue. Therefore it is something you did that is causing the issue.

B) If you're a programmer you could have fixed it in far less time than you've spent here arguing.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

I'm paying for my mistakes - you should pay for yours. Asking me, to pay for your bugs, is ridiculous idea. I already wrote you that I'm not paying you for fixing your own security bugs. I thought I make it clear.
              It isn't a security bug. It is an issue on your installation of vBulletin. Unique to your environment and setup. We cannot fix the issue without a support ticket. It really is as simple as that. Good luck.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• NLP-er
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by In Omnibus
                A) You are the only person having this issue. Therefore it is something you did that is causing the issue.

B) If you're a programmer you could have fixed it in far less time than you've spent here arguing.
                A) Bad logic
                B) I have no intention to change external code now and every time I made some update

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

It isn't a security bug. It is an issue on your installation of vBulletin. Unique to your environment and setup. We cannot fix the issue without a support ticket. It really is as simple as that. Good luck.
                I discovered that when I login on forum page then I get access to AdminCP, but login by AdminCP is not possible (as described before). So I can login to Admin CP, but not by AdminCP...

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

The advice provided still stands. There is no such bug on the platform. If there was, we'd have hundreds of people reporting it.

We will need a support ticket and credentials for your admincp, ftp and server in order to investigate for you. This does require a valid support contract to be in place.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------

Comment

• NLP-er
                    • Aug 2008

And just like that it stopt working - now when I login by forum I cannot access Admin CP. So again I have no way to login to Acmin CP. I will have to downgrade whole serwer again...

Comment

• NLP-er
                      • Aug 2008

And final update. I was trying lot of described things, including changing
                      Code:
                      $config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = 'bb';
                      to
                      Code:
                      $config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = 'bb1';
                      in /core/includes/config.php and nothing.

Just right now, just by accident I found that in forum main directory there is also config.php I found there
                      Code:
                      $config['cookie_prefix'] = '';
                      and just by hint changed it to
                      Code:
                      $config['cookie_prefix'] = 'bb';
                      also put back
                      Code:
                      $config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = 'bb';
                      Now login to Admin CP is working.
                      You have 2 different settings for cookie prefix - this is the bug. Also 2 different config.php files with DUPLICATED CONFIGURATION BUT UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES (for cookies, admincpdir...)
                      You still think this is not a bug? This suppose to be like that?
                      Once:
                      Code:
                      $config['Misc']['admincpdir'] = 'admincp';
                      And once:
                      Code:
                      $config['admincpdir'] = 'admincp';
                      In 2 different config.php files... This is OK? Not a bug of any kind?

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

There are no bugs in the config files.
                        There are two files intentionally. Your cookie prefix must be the same value in both files.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

You have 2 different settings for cookie prefix - this is the bug. Also 2 different config.php files with DUPLICATED CONFIGURATION BUT UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES (for cookies, admincpdir...)
                          You still think this is not a bug? This suppose to be like that?
                          Not a bug. It was how the system was originally designed. The original idea is that you could have the front-end (everything except the /core directory) on one server and domain. Then you could have the back-end (/core) on an entirely different server and domain. In reality, this design doesn't really have a market with our customers though we have leveraged it a bit for our Cloud system. As such, we've been removing this infrastructure over the years as long as the changes made since. Because 95% of our customers never change their COOKIE Prefixes, this change hasn't been removed yet. It is simply a waste of manpower right now to make the change.

In a default install both of these prefixes will be 'bb' and the majority of customers will never edit the /config.php. The only values they worry about are the database values in /core/includes/config.php. If they didn't match up, it must be due to edits someone made on your server to the default files at one time.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment