Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CorbinH
    • May 2009

iPad issue/s

We have a member of our forum experiencing problems when he posts using his iPad. IPad pro. iOS 11.4.1 using Safari.
    His message gets truncated and automatically sent whenever he uses an inverted comma '. This has only started happening since our upgrade to 5.4.3.
    Here is a screenshot of a post he sent prior to the upgrade showing strange characters where the inverted comma should be, These characters were not visible before the upgrade.

How do we check to see what charset our database is set to?

This does not happen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seaslug.jpg Views:	1 Size:	27.6 KB ID:	4398554
    Last edited by CorbinH; Sun 16 Sep '18, 11:59pm. Reason: additional information.
  • CorbinH
    • May 2009

Sorry, I gave you some incorrect information in the first post.
    What happens is that after the member has typed out his post and hits Post Reply only the text up to, but not including the first inverted is sent.
    He is using a IPad pro. iOS 11.4.1 and using Safari.
    I can replicate the issue using an iPad mini 4, IOS 11.4.1 and Safari browser.
    When I use an iPad 4th. Gen Model A1458, IOS 10.3.3 and Safari browser the complete message gets posted.
    Hope this info helps.

Does not seem to happen to text entered in the comments box.
    Last edited by CorbinH; Mon 17 Sep '18, 1:30am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

The iPad is sending utf-8 characters that translate to an end of file character if you're using the old ISO-8859-1 character set prevalent in vBulletin 3 and vBulletin 4. You need to change your character set to UTF-8 under Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager.

There is also an option on IOS that allows you to turn off Smart Quotes. Doing this prevents the error as well.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mark.hs
        • Dec 2016

Wayne,
        We are having the exact same issue, we narrowed it down to people using Safari on iOS devices. When people use quotes and apostrophes in their forum posts it looks like this:

“These are quotes”. , this is it’s

I went to Admin CP > Languages & Phrases > Language Manager > Edit Settings, and under HTML Character I change ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8.

I then cleared the system cache and went to the forum. I had several users do a test post and now everything looks good... HOWEVER... Every post that was showing the strange characters is now blank. The post is there but there is no text.

How do I fix this?
        Admin for hobbysquawk.com
        VB 5.74
        PHP 8.2
        Maria DB 10.6

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

If you edit the post and save it, does the text show then?

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mark.hs
            • Dec 2016

When I click edit there is no text (it says "Write Something..." and when I click save it says "Error - Text Required". So I guess the answer is no.

One other important element, our database charset is set to Latin1,with swedish_general_ci collation, so I'm guessing that is part of the problem.
            VB 5.74
            PHP 8.2
            Maria DB 10.6

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

It may be that depends on the version of MySQL that you're using. Newer versions actually store all data as UTF-8 regardless of the character set and collation. Those control presentation. If you switch back to ISO-8859-1 does the text appear?

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mark.hs
                • Dec 2016

yes, if we go to IOS-8859 or WINDOWS-1252 the text will reappear
                VB 5.74
                PHP 8.2
                Maria DB 10.6

Comment