Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create a link in a Help item to another Help item?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create a link in a Help item to another Help item?

I have tried searching for an answer, but "help" and "link" turned out to be just a bit too general as a search word . In help item A I would like to create a link to help item B. How should I apporach this?

Anchor Tags

<a href="https://www.w3schools.com">Visit W3Schools.com!</a>

Comment

Thanks IO . I realized I should have asked my question a bit more specifically. I did create the link to the other help item, like you have suggested. The problem is that the address bar does show the link, but the page isn't refreshed. All other links to pages outside of the Help section, do work properly. I guess it has something to do with the way the help section is set up. Linking to https://domain.com/help works fine. But from, the # the trouble starts.

After clicking the link, like I said, the adrress bar shows the new url, but the page doesn't load. When I navigate to a new page and use the back button in the browser (Chrome) the correct page (the one which was linked to) is loaded. Is there a way to push the page to refresh when initially clicking the link?
      Last edited by ssfnl; Thu 13th Sep '18, 7:37am.

Comment

"#" is a placeholder in HTML links. Because the Help items are phrases and not actual URL links I'm not sure of the best way to go about this.

I decided to rewrite the rewrite Help Menu using pages but, admittedly, that's a great deal of time and effort.

There's probably a better solution but it's not occurring to me at the moment.

Comment

But thanks for your time and effort anyway!

Comment

If you open it in a new tab with target="_blank" it should work...

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/help...al_loginlogoff
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

I haven't tried this myself but try this:

Code:
              <a href="help#community_overview/general_cookies_clear">How do I clear my cookies or cache?</a>
              You have to change the parts in blue and red. The blue one is the parent help item id and the red one is the child help item id. You can see the help ids in the Help Manager in AdminCP. Edit a help item and it displays the corresponding id.

Click image for larger version  Name:	helpid.png Views:	1 Size:	10.9 KB ID:	4398373

GIPHY for vB5 | AutoLinker | Video Attachments Player | Last Registered Users Module | Clear System Cache Cron | Drag-n-Drop Upload | Topic AJAX AutoUpdate | Force Read Topic

Comment

Yes! Just had to delete everything before "help". Many thanks Glenn, and others who tried.

Comment