X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • susanje1119
    • Jan 2017
    • 5.2.x

Creating Multiple SubChannels at Once?

I did a search on this and could not find it. I created a channel whereby each person in that group will have their own channel underneath (so each person's level will be 3 and then I will post things to that person and only for that person). Do I have to create each new channel manually or is there a way to create multiple channels to behave the same way, be under the proper topic, but you can change each channel to have a different name? Example: forum is Users, sub-level is Individual User Plan. Below THAT would be a channel with each user's name and in that channel all the information specifically for that one person. But I have 5-10 individuals who will show up in a few top forums I also need to do the same thing in. Manually is so tedious. Thoughts?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Manually is the only way.

I have to say, the system isn't really designed for what you're trying to do. It'll probably work, but if you end up with a large number of such channels it may impact performance.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• susanje1119
      • Jan 2017
      • 5.2.x

It is NOT a public forum. It's a private forum for small groups on a dedicated server. Every group is 4-6 people and I only run 2-3 groups at a time and wipe it out after 6-10 weeks and start all over.

I don't know why you can't make "like" channels without doing the exact same thing over and over again. For example, I run these groups and each one has the same subforums repeating. People need to check in on a 4-5 times a week basis. So I would love to be able to CREATE Check In Week 1` and each person makes their own thread under that channel. But I'd like to be able to CREATE all 8 week check-in channels without the time consuming method I do NOW of having to do the Add New Channel and set it all up EXACTLY the same way I just did and then repeat that 8 times. A method of duplicating channels in "bulk" would be nice.

Comment

• In Omnibus
        • Apr 2010

You can quickly create channels or sub-channels in the SiteBuilder Channels module and then duplicate permissions for those channels in the admincp under Channel Permissions

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by susanje1119
          It is NOT a public forum. It's a private forum for small groups on a dedicated server. Every group is 4-6 people and I only run 2-3 groups at a time and wipe it out after 6-10 weeks and start all over.

I don't know why you can't make "like" channels without doing the exact same thing over and over again. For example, I run these groups and each one has the same subforums repeating. People need to check in on a 4-5 times a week basis. So I would love to be able to CREATE Check In Week 1` and each person makes their own thread under that channel. But I'd like to be able to CREATE all 8 week check-in channels without the time consuming method I do NOW of having to do the Add New Channel and set it all up EXACTLY the same way I just did and then repeat that 8 times. A method of duplicating channels in "bulk" would be nice.
          The reason this feature isn't built in because, as I mentioned, the platform isn't designed for this type of use. It not being a public forum makes no difference.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Mar 2011
            • 5.7.X

This might be possible using a custom script that calls the API to create the channels. Contact me over at my site. See link in my signature below.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment