X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • introtocryptos
    • Aug 2018
    • 5.3.x

SQL dump to move database to new server

I'm following the instructions (Appendix: Technical Documents / Moving Servers / 2) Backing-Up the Current Database) and finally achieved login success with PUTTY.

After trying the command 'mysqldump --opt -Q -uUSERNAME -p DATABASENAME > /PATH/TO/DUMP.SQL' a number of different times, I can't seem to find the DUMP.SQL file

Is this file supposed to be on my computer? Or is the /path/to/ on the hosting environment?

NOTE: I removed /path/to/, as the instructions say 'If you did not specify a full directory, the file will be in the directory you are currently in.' - but I don't know what directory I'm in as I have no skill with working in command line - and I cannot find the backup file.

Appreciate any help.

Doug
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

What are you entering as the path? That should be the location of the SQL file.

I recommend using the absolute path to the root directory (outside the public_html directory)

It's usually something like var/www/html/home/username/html

Comment

• introtocryptos
      • Aug 2018
      • 5.3.x

Thank you In Omnibus - I needed that tip!

I was able to successfully move the forum files and move the database using Putty and SSH - and feel great accomplishment!

These two screenshots demonstrate what I did for Part Two of the instructions for Appendix: Technical Documents / Moving Servers / 2) Backing-Up the Current Database. Due to distractions while implementing, I did not get screenshots for parts Three and Four but hope this helps someone.

Regards and thank you for the support on this forum!

Introtocryptos

Click image for larger version  Name:	movingdatabase-puttyscreenshot2of2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	4396778
      Last edited by introtocryptos; Tue 21 Aug '18, 3:11am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

It will be created on the server. You will have to transfer it to your local machine through some other means. That command just creates the file. If you leave off /path/to it will create the dump file in the current directory.

Code:
        mysqldump --opt -Q -uUSERNAME -p DATABASENAME > mydatabase.sql
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• introtocryptos
          • Aug 2018
          • 5.3.x

Thank you Wayne Luke - I was able to successfully move the database, and almost have the forum running smoothly on the godaddy hosting under the new domain.

I can login to the admincp and all seems to work fine there, and the front of the forum now provides a generic error message 'That action could not be completed. Please try again, and if this occurs again please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.'

Somewhere on these support forums it was suggested it must be a database issue, I have run the repair database commands and repair table commands - and that worked but did not fix my issue. I know it must be a simple setting that I am missing - and determined to get it sorted out today.

Comment

• introtocryptos
            introtocryptos commented
            Editing a comment
            I am also getting this error - (spelling error is not mine ;-)
            And wonder how can I get the error logs?

"A System Error has occured.
            The software is experiencing a systems error.

You should attempt to repeat your last action. If this error occurs again, please contact the site administrator."
        • introtocryptos
          • Aug 2018
          • 5.3.x

The error reported by the hosting is

browser console shows error
          jquery.js:8630 Failed to load https://www.introtocryptos.ca/forums...se/getPhrases: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin 'https://introtocryptos.ca' is therefore not allowed access. The response had HTTP status code 404.
          Can anyone help me with this?

Comment

• introtocryptos
          • Aug 2018
          • 5.3.x

update: I did a forum upgrade and everything is working!

No further support needed for this thread!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

"A System Error has occured. The software is experiencing a systems error.
            1) the system can't connect to the database.
            2) the database isn't complete and is missing required tables/fields.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...