• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • op2
    • Nov 2008
    • 5.3.x

Trying making the forum faster

Hello

I'm in charge of the administration of the French https://forum.joomla.fr forum.

Months after months our forum becomes really slow. We're seeing "Working..." almost all the time, even for a simple redirection.

Our sysadmin has tried a lot of things (don't know exactly which ones) and, now, I'm trying to make a few cleaning since our forum exists for more than 10 years.

I'm trying, thus, to make a few cleaning like removing soft deleted posts. I've found the "Prune topics manager".

First try : I say yes for "Topic is unpublished/soft deleted" and select a channel. 797 messages are found. Ok, let's delete them.
    After 15 seconds, I receive an error page "Service Unavailable - The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later" and when I try again, same selection, the system mention 738 messages.
    So, vBulletin has indeed remove 59 records but I didn't imagine to do it again and again until vBulletin say "0 message found". We've a lot of channels.

Can you please tell me how I can do this cleaning action at once. F.i. by the user of a SQL query ?

Thanks for your help.

Objective : making our forum great again ;-)
    French Joomla forum : https://forum.joomla.fr
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Your system is timing out. Give it more resources so it doesn't time out. At least temporarily. More memory, more processing time, more input time. Your server administrator can help with that.

As for permanent performance increases we need to have a list of what was tried and along with your full server specs for the hardware and software. Otherwise, it will be like throwing darts at a 5 centimeter square on the side of a barn from 100 meters.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment