Searches that include hyphenated words return no results. Is there a fix for this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macromotion
    • Aug 2018
    • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
    macromotion I tried "z-wave" including quotes and it returned results!
    This was actually fixed yesterday (see post above) but we experienced a Sphinx search engine collapse (my term) near the end of the day. That basically shut down our forum. We got it going again last night by changing the search type back to the default DB setting. This morning, we downgraded to an older, more stable version of Sphinx and are currently in the process of re-indexing again. That process is about 1/2 done. If it finishes successfully, we'll be in good shape tomorrow.

HomeSeer Website | Store | Message Board

Comment

• macromotion
      • Aug 2018
      • 5.3.x

*** FIXED *** So, all set now. The search type conversion to Sphinx fixed this issue. Search is working really well now.

Comment

• macromotion
        • Aug 2018
        • 5.3.x

Sphinx searches work for us but unfortunately, Sphinx breaks after several weeks and we get this when trying to access the forum:

A System Error has occured.
        The software is experiencing a systems error.
        You should attempt to repeat your last action. If this error occurs again, please contact the site administrator.

If we change the Search Type back to the default vB search engine, the forum becomes accessible again. HOWEVER, we're back to the problem with the hyphenated word searches. A search on "Z-Wave" or "Sub-Forum" or anything with a hyphen returns no results. Our preference would be to use the default search engine but we're at a loss on how to make it work. Is there anything else we could try?

Here's the forum again: https://forums.homeseer.com/

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

Put the site on debug mode to see the actual error message.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• macromotion
            • Aug 2018
            • 5.3.x

there's a daemon process (or something) that's supposed to be running in the background for Sphinx. Looks like that stopped. Our IT guy started it up and the search and forum are operational again. We don't know why this process stops and need to research that a bit to see if there's a solution.

Comment

• macromotion
              • Aug 2018
              • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Hyphens are a stop character so word-word should search for "word word."

If it isn't finding the single words, are they in the words table?
              Wayne Luke I asked above but you did not reply ... what is the "words table" and how do I work with that?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

The words table is a table in your database. You would query it with SQL queries to see if a word exists...

select from word where word='someword'

A workaround would be to use a custom Google Site Search. I believe there are instructions to integrate this on vbulletin.org.

I've created a JIRA here - https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18964 . I don't know if it is a duplicate. This comes up every year or so and I've asked customers to create an improvement request JIRA in the past. I don't know if they did or not.
                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 28 Nov '18, 10:11am.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• macromotion
                  • Aug 2018
                  • 5.3.x

The words table is a table in your database. You would query it with SQL queries to see if a word exists...

select from word where word='someword'
                  If you look at this page, you'll see many instances of "Z-Wave": https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...-wave-homeseer

However, if you type "Z-Wave" into the search box at the top of the page, no results are found. That's the problem. Is there anyone at vBulletin who can take a look at this and offer a fix. I emailed support about this issue this morning. We're happy to pay for help. How do we get this resolved?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

As I stated above "Z-WAVE" isn't a word. It is two word... Z and WAVE. WAVE will be indexed because it meets the minimum requirement of 4 characters. Z will not be indexed.

The fix isn't simple. It requires a fundamental rewrite of how searches are done in vBulletin 5.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• macromotion
                      • Aug 2018
                      • 5.3.x

As I stated above "Z-WAVE" isn't a word. It is two word... Z and WAVE. WAVE will be indexed because it meets the minimum requirement of 4 characters. Z will not be indexed.

The fix isn't simple. It requires a fundamental rewrite of how searches are done in vBulletin 5.
                      It what you're saying is true, then why can I search for Z-Wave ON THIS FORUM and get these results: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/sear...22z-wave%22%7D

Why does it work here and not on our forum? Your answer does not make sense. Try it for yourself!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

We use Sphinx search here. It may handle things differently. If you're running a dedicated server or a Cloud VM (AWS, Digital Ocean, Rackspace Cloud, Google Cloud, Etc...), then you can install Sphinx Search and use it.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

This issue will be resolved in the next version of vBulletin. Please see:

If a word is hyphenated, it will be index like:

word1
                          word2
                          word1-word2

If either word is less than 4 characters (the default limit) it will be dropped but the hyphenated variant would be kept. So with 'z-wave' we would index both 'z-wave' and 'wave'.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• macromotion
                            • Aug 2018
                            • 5.3.x

This issue will be resolved in the next version of vBulletin. Please see:

If a word is hyphenated, it will be index like:

word1
                            word2
                            word1-word2

If either word is less than 4 characters (the default limit) it will be dropped but the hyphenated variant would be kept. So with 'z-wave' we would index both 'z-wave' and 'wave'.
                            Very good news! We had to revert to your default search (because Sphinx kept crashing on us) and it will be great to have this working finally. Do you have an ETA for the next version release?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              Wayne Luke commented
                              Editing a comment
                              If all goes well, in about 6-7 weeks. There are three weeks left in the development cycle and three-four weeks of testing/certification after that.
                          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...