Searches that include hyphenated words return no results. Is there a fix for this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macromotion
    • Aug 2018
    • 5.3.x

Searches that include hyphenated words return no results. Is there a fix for this?

Problem
    We converted from vB3 to vB5 about 10 days ago. Since the conversion, we have struggled to get the search working properly. If users search for "Z-Wave" (a common topic on our board), no results are found. The same thing happens with other hyphenated words (like "sub-forum"). Searches with non-hyphenated terms seem to work OK. If you'd like to test this, our forum is here: https://forums.homeseer.com/

I have cleared the cache and have rebuilt the search index several times. However, the problem remains. I found an 8 year old (vB4) thread that seems to discuss the same problem but no solution was posted.

Old thread with problem: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...hyphen-dot-etc

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by macromotion; Mon 13 Aug '18, 5:40am.
    HomeSeer Website | Store | Message Board
  • Mrs.T
    • Nov 2007
    • 6.0.X

We have a similar problem that search will not find numbers, our searches will often be R10 R30 R40 etc. the names of motorhomes. Members struggle to find the info they are looking for related to these.

I guess the hyphen comes under the same character type as numbers.

Comment

• Mrs.T
      • Nov 2007
      • 6.0.X

This is the tracker Wayne created asking for full text search. https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-17331

Comment

• macromotion
        • Aug 2018
        • 5.3.x

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle
        We have a similar problem that search will not find numbers, our searches will often be R10 R30 R40 etc. the names of motorhomes. Members struggle to find the info they are looking for related to these.

I guess the hyphen comes under the same character type as numbers.
        Thanks for your response. This forum (vBulletin forum) doesn't seem to suffer from this issue. A search on "sub-forum" works just fine. So... a full-text search feature shouldn't be necessary. I'm guessing there's something different about the supported character set or database type or something. We're happy to make a change... just need a little help. Wayne Luke ?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Hyphens are a stop character so word-word should search for "word word."

If it isn't finding the single words, are they in the words table?
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• macromotion
            • Aug 2018
            • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Hyphens are a stop character so word-word should search for "word word."

If it isn't finding the single words, are they in the words table?
            The words table? What is that and how would I find the answer to your question?

I did find a "words" table in the repair/optimize tables function. Is that what you mean? If so, how would I access that?

Also, we had a pretty big problem with special characters when we upgrade to vB5. Posts from iPads that included apostrophes or other special characters did not display correctly. We still have an issue with that. Could this be related to the problem? If so, what can I check to determine that?
            Last edited by macromotion; Mon 13 Aug '18, 9:11am.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Mar 2011
              • 5.7.X

macromotion, as a temporary workaround while waiting for this issue to be fixed, you could replace the search with Google search with this free mod I created.

Search feature on websites not just in forums is one of the most important features a website must have. Giving the website visitors the ability to easily find the

It will keep your existing Search box but when they search, it will show the search results page from Google search within your forum using the "site:" keyword trick.

So when a user types "z-wave" in your forum's Search box and hit Enter, they will see this search result page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	google-search.PNG
Views:	109
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	4396434

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• macromotion
                • Aug 2018
                • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
                macromotion, as a temporary workaround while waiting for this issue to be fixed, you could replace the search with Google search with this free mod I created.

Search feature on websites not just in forums is one of the most important features a website must have. Giving the website visitors the ability to easily find the

It will keep your existing Search box but when they search, it will show the search results page from Google search within your forum using the "site:" keyword trick.

So when a user types "z-wave" in your forum's Search box and hit Enter, they will see this search result page:

Hi Glenn - thanks for posting back. I registered for your board and posted but still don't have permission to download the mod to try. I assume my posting is processed as a promotion through your board... How long will that take? -Mark

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                  glennrocksvb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. I have a cron job running every 5 mins
              • macromotion
                • Aug 2018
                • 5.3.x

Originally posted by macromotion
                Hi Glenn - thanks for posting back. I registered for your board and posted but still don't have permission to download the mod to try. I assume my posting is processed as a promotion through your board... How long will that take? -Mark
                Nevermind... I got it. Thanks!

Comment

• macromotion
                • Aug 2018
                • 5.3.x

*** FIXED *** We implemented the Sphinx search engine and changed over to that. Searches with hyphenated strings now are found correctly. So we're in good shape. Thanks again to Glenn for the temporary fix.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by macromotion
                  Also, we had a pretty big problem with special characters when we upgrade to vB5. Posts from iPads that included apostrophes or other special characters did not display correctly. We still have an issue with that. Could this be related to the problem? If so, what can I check to determine that?
                  iPads use UTF-8. Your vBulletin most likely does not. Only new installs on vBulletin 5.3.4 and higher default to UTF-8. You would need to change the character set to UTF-8 under Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager. Edit your language and chance ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• macromotion
                    • Aug 2018
                    • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

iPads use UTF-8. Your vBulletin most likely does not. Only new installs on vBulletin 5.3.4 and higher default to UTF-8. You would need to change the character set to UTF-8 under Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager. Edit your language and chance ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8.
                    OK, thanks for that. I've made that change. Now what about searches with hyphenated words? Do you have a fix for that too? We thought we did with Sphinx but the search indexing process "blew up" on us after several hours and made the board inaccessible. We had to change the search type back to DB to get the board running again.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 5.7.X

If you enclose the keyword within double quotes (e.g. "z-wave"), does it still return empty?

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• macromotion
                        • Aug 2018
                        • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
                        If you enclose the keyword within double quotes (e.g. "z-wave"), does it still return empty?
                        Yes, same with quotes or no quotes.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 5.7.X

macromotion I tried "z-wave" including quotes and it returned results!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	4396542

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...