X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Davis
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.3.x

Thumbnail Failed on Mobile Camera Attempt

When i visit my forum from mobile phone and make a post i click add photo and the camera icon comes up allowing me to take a photo instantly adding it to the post, however i get an image thumbnail failed message? Possible issues?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Make sure your camera is submitting the image in a compatible format. We cannot thumbnail RAW or HEIF image formats.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Frank Davis
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.3.x

It specifically said error creating thumbnail with jpeg, but i will check this to be sure.

Comment

• Frank Davis
        • Sep 2012
        • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        Make sure your camera is submitting the image in a compatible format. We cannot thumbnail RAW or HEIF image formats.
        Yes, saving as jpeg message error is - "imagine thumbnail creation failed from JPEG"

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

What is your image library set to in the AdminCP under Settings -> Image Settings? If it is using GD, make sure you have the latest version of the GD library installed in PHP. You may have to talk to your hosting provider to have this updated for you. If it is set to ImageMagick, try switching it to GD.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Frank Davis
            • Sep 2012
            • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            What is your image library set to in the AdminCP under Settings -> Image Settings? If it is using GD, make sure you have the latest version of the GD library installed in PHP. You may have to talk to your hosting provider to have this updated for you. If it is set to ImageMagick, try switching it to GD.
            Wayne Luke Here's current settings - see any issue? I have no idea what is most recent or exactly how it should be so figured Id post for instructions.

Here is the GD version from PHP 5.6.33:

gd

GD Support => enabled
            GD Version => bundled (2.1.0 compatible)
            FreeType Support => enabled
            FreeType Linkage => with freetype
            FreeType Version => 2.3.11
            GIF Read Support => enabled
            GIF Create Support => enabled
            JPEG Support => enabled
            libJPEG Version => 6b
            PNG Support => enabled
            libPNG Version => 1.2.49
            WBMP Support => enabled
            XBM Support => enabled
            Last edited by Frank Davis; Sun 29 Jul '18, 6:32am.

Comment

• Frank Davis
              • Sep 2012
              • 5.3.x

Wayne Luke can you take a look at these settings and tell me if you know this is what is causing mobile devices to not upload taken photos for posts correctly?

Comment

• Frank Davis
                • Sep 2012
                • 5.3.x

I have discovered that the rear camera loads fine into the post but the forward camera pics are what is giving me the error. Interesting enough if i take a pic with the front camera and save to phone then upload from file system it works fine, its only when selecting the camera when adding to the gallery and taking a photo for immediate uploading that gives an error.

Please advise how I can fix this! Thanks you so much!
                Last edited by Frank Davis; Mon 30 Jul '18, 12:35pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Frank Davis
                  I have discovered that the rear camera loads fine into the post but the forward camera pics are what is giving me the error.
                  This is an issue with your device and not something vBulletin can resolve.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Frank Davis
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Mark.B

This is an issue with your device and not something vBulletin can resolve.
                    Device setting? It is brand new device and front camera settings are same as rear! Any ideas how or what within the device may be causing this? Just figured Id ask as this is a new issue I have just discovered as users had contacted me with the same issue, Id love to provide them with a solution if possible. Thank you so much for you assistance.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

What kind of device is it?

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Frank Davis
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 5.3.x

Galaxy, but also I have gotten many emails from others with same issue. I did not ask what devices they are using but I am guessing it is an issue on multiple devices since I've received emails from multiple people. Not thousands lol, but a good half a dozen so considering most people wont email they just leave I wanted to see if I could with your guys help track down the problem that could be causing this since instant selfies getting uploaded is a huge thing now days and I have exhausted everything trying to pin point the problem but only with my phone. I think something is different when it tries to pull instant photos vs photos in the phone gallery because like i said i can take a selfie with the front camera and store it, then post it fine, it is only when trying to use the camera mode and using the front camera only. I hope this helps give you more details that could assist in hunting down the issue. Im no pro for sure at code, php or how this specific function actually works, I wouldn't know the first place to even try looking lol. Thank you so much for taking the time to look into it, this is a huge priority for my specific sites engagement and future so thank you.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

It is going to be a big issue on Android devices because they are almost never upgraded automatically to newer versions of the software. It uses the built-in functionality of the device and standard HTML so it should work but then again, the version of the device's OS will matter. The newer the OS, the more likely it is something we can fix if there is an actual problem. Will have to try and track down an Android device to test with. The one I have is only using Android 5.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment