• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • naharia2006
    • Oct 2017
    • 4.2.x

[Bug / Issue] Upgraded from 4.2.5 to 5.4.3 and i have charset issues

HI,
    I upgraded today my forum from 4.2.5 to 5.4.3 and i installed it in a new directory and i connected it to a copy of the original database.
    I works fine except for the content of the forum, everything seems like gibberish.
    After comparing the updated sql database with the old one, the content looks like gibberish in both of them but somehow in my old forum, it manages to read it correctly.
    Old forum(4.2.5):

New forum(5.4.3):

I tried playing with $config['Mysqli']['charset'] in the config.php but nothing works.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The value in the config.php has nothing to do with how vBulletin displays data. It only tells vBulletin how to communicate with MySQL. As all newer versions of MYSQL communicate in UTF-8, this value doesn't server much use anymore.

What is the character set and collation of your database?

What is the character encoding of your language within vBulletin? (AdminCP) -> Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager -> Edit your language.

It should be UTF-8 and you will probably have to set the Locale value to a proper UTF-8 locale (which means filling in all the other options on the page as well).
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• naharia2006
      • Oct 2017
      • 4.2.x

The character collation of the database is utf8_unicode_ci and the character encoding of my language is UTF-8 too

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

This is what it was when running vBulletin 4.2.5?
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• naharia2006
          • Oct 2017
          • 4.2.x

Yes, at least for the database. The language is a new file since Vbulletin 5 doesn't support the Vb 4 language file.

Comment

• naharia2006
            • Oct 2017
            • 4.2.x

I tried to set $config['Mysqli']['charset'] to "UTF-8" and now it doesn't show gibberish in the "forum is close message" what means it's displaying the language fine.
            But now the forum doesn't work correctly, for example i can't connect.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by naharia2006
              I tried to set $config['Mysqli']['charset'] to "UTF-8" and now it doesn't show gibberish in the "forum is close message" what means it's displaying the language fine.
              But now the forum doesn't work correctly, for example i can't connect.
              We need more information....exact error messages, what does "I can't connect" actually mean, etc.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• naharia2006
                • Oct 2017
                • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Mark.B

We need more information....exact error messages, what does "I can't connect" actually mean, etc.
                sorry, i ment i can't connect to my user, when i click on the login/register button this appear http://prntscr.com/kb0gwh
                and this is when the forum is open and the charset is set o UTF-8 in the config.php http://prntscr.com/kb0i77

Comment

• naharia2006
                  • Oct 2017
                  • 4.2.x

I have been reading and maybe the problem is that i upgraded from an older version of vBulletin that didn't support UTF-8 and converted every character of Hebrew to symbols?
                  If it is the issue, is any solution to that?

Comment