Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maltair
    • Feb 2009

Difficulty getting vbulletin Facebook login approved by August 1, 2018

Am having a very hard time getting the app approved at Facebook as far as the user_friends function, been going back and forth with them for several rounds:

I did supply a video of someone logged into my forum clicking to Share a post, which in order to share would require friends functionality, but
    but Facebook keeps coming back with "This permission is not required for the app's intended function."

Click image for larger version  Name:	AppReview__FB_redact.jpg Views:	1 Size:	162.3 KB ID:	4395123
    Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_userfriend_redact.jpg Views:	1 Size:	220.8 KB ID:	4395124

They also can't seem to handle the App Verification, which means that they can't even figure out how to login to the site via Facebook.

All FB apps are going through a fresh review process and will be disabled unless re-approved by August 1st.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You shouldn't need that permission. We don't gather friend information. The only permission you would need is to the ability to publish to Facebook. Even then the share icons in the post info block don't require any permissions. You don't need to submit for approval just for the Login functionality.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maltair
      • Feb 2009

Well if you are sure about that then I will forget about resubmitting that one.

But what is annoying is that FB keeps rejecting the login itself, for App Verification, which means that they can't even figure out how to login via FB in the first place, which I can't get the login approved until they get past at least that.
      Last edited by Maltair; Thu 26 Jul '18, 7:41am.

Comment

• In Omnibus
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by MDawg
        Well if you are sure about then I will forget about resubmitting that one.

But what is annoying is that FB keeps rejecting the login itself, for App Verification, which means that they can't even figure out how to login via FB in the first place.
        I'm almost positive they've tinkered with their API again. I'm not sure how vBulletin (or anyone else) is supposed to keep up with this when they insist on fixing an API that isn't broken every couple of months.

Comment

• Maltair
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          You shouldn't need that permission. We don't gather friend information. The only permission you would need is to the ability to publish to Facebook. Even then the share icons in the post info block don't require any permissions. You don't need to submit for approval just for the Login functionality.
          I went ahead and submitted instead
          publish_pages
          and
          manage_pages

so, do you think if approved, those two, plus
          email
          public_profile

will suffice?

I had user_friends approved from before because it was approved by default (before), but apparently, no longer approved by default.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

vBulletin will not publish to pages or manage pages. It will only publish to a user's wall if your app has already been approved and the user manually gives the permission. Facebook has actually deprecated the ability for Apps to publish directly to its site and encourages individuals to use the Sharing mechanism (the button in the postbit's info block). New apps will not be approved if they ask for publish permissions. Facebook will remove it from existing apps in the future.

As such, we're removing the publish to facebook option when creating new content. The deprecation and the hassle of getting an app approved by Facebook is just too many hoops to jump through for our customers. This will be removed in 3.4.4. Removing this functionality actually closes at least half a dozen bugs with Facebook. We're also changing the permissions requested in 3.4.4 per the existing JIRA.

As before, I suggest just using the Facebook Connect functionality and you do not need approval for this.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maltair
              • Feb 2009

Right, well,

Facebook came back and denied
              publish_pages
              and
              manage_pages
              and still also,
              user_friends

so, what do I NEED to get approved to make this Facebook login and the publish to Facebook option even work?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

email
                public_profile

That is it.... vBulletin doesn't do anything with Pages so Publish Pages and Manage Pages aren't needed as I said above. We don't care about the user's friends either.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maltair
                  • Feb 2009

Okay, I am still having trouble getting them to verify the app itself, they keep coming back with they can't even figure out how to login via FB, what a joke.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Shouldn't need to have them review the app if all you're doing is login.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment