X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimMM
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

Forum message causing a loss of user functions

Everything past this message https://www.forumania.com/forum/tech...109#post124109 seems to be in trouble. None of the user commands work such as quote, like, etc. They also can't be edited by staff. We have deleted the message but it hasn't fixed the problem. Notice part of the message is actually outside the normal message frame.(below it) Can someone take a look at lend a hand on how to fix this? TIA

We've closed the thread and moved it to a new one which seems to have worked around the problem. Still curious about what caused the 124109 post (currently soft deleted) to "spill" part of its text outside the message frame and become undeletable through normal inline moderation methods. We think this is related to the problem of subsequent messages losing all user commands such as like, edit, quote, etc. Is this a known bug? Oh sorry, vB 5.3.4
    Last edited by JimMM; Fri 20 Jul '18, 9:35am.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

If you turn off HTML posting for that user, does the page behave properly after that?

Improperly formed HTML can break your pages and cause security issues. This is one reason why we recommend not turning it on.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JimMM
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.6.x

Maybe I'm missing it somehow but I do not see a way to urn off HTML posting on an individual user basis. Can you toss me a pointer? TIA.

Under ACP > User Group Manager > Post/Topic Permissions for Registered Users which the member in question is a primary member of, we alreadyhave "Can Use HTML (Security Risk: Enabling HTML for untrusted users can expose your site to security risks and exploitation) set to.......... NO.

But I'm not aware of an override to turn off HTML posting for that user, only the user group he is in. Other than that I'm not sure what caused this problem or how to prevent it in the future or fix it, other than starting a new "continuing" topic and closing the problem one.
      Last edited by JimMM; Fri 20 Jul '18, 10:54am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

It is a Channel Permission per usergroup... Channel Management -> Channel Permissions.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JimMM
          • Aug 2006
          • 3.6.x

Can use HTML is set to NO for all user groups except admins in all channels via channel permissions (inherited from Home)

So, any other ideas what might have caused this problem?
          Last edited by JimMM; Sat 21 Jul '18, 4:22am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Page format breaking after a post is going to be tied to broken HTML. A tag is missing somewhere. Either posting HTML, a custom module, improperly written custom BBCODE, bad replacement variable, or something similar. I can't actually see what would be causing the error on this page.

Is this a topic created by an RSS Feed? That can bring in improperly formatted or broken HTML.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...