• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benmin
    • Jun 2018
    • 4.2.x

Connect Vbulletin to a mysql server with ssl

Hi,

I use Vbulletin 5.4.2, and i would like to change the config.php to connect a mysql server but with a ssl certificate. Is it possible and if yes with wich options ?

Thanks
    Regards
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

We do not support this at this time. Most customers access MySQL via localhost and an SSL connection provides no benefit in that case. Your MySQL Server should be on the same internal network segment that your webserver runs on for the best security. Ideally, MySQL would not be directly accessible from the web.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• benmin
      • Jun 2018
      • 4.2.x

Thanks, we can close the case

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

I've done some research into this and while it is not possible, I think it would be a good feature to add. I've created a Feature Request for it here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-18667

In the interim, you should look into "at rest encryption" for both MySQL (5.7.11 and higher) and MariaDB (10.1.5 and higher). This allows you to encrypt the files on the disk so that if someone gains access to the files, they don't get access to the content. However, this is "at rest" encryption. So when you make a valid connection, the database server will automatically decrypt the files behind the scenes. However, this wouldn't require any modification to vBulletin and protects against a direct assault on the server..
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...