Clear All
  • tzan1970
    • Nov 2011
    • 6.X

Index column size too large

Hello
    You can help me with this problem
    Thank you

An error has occurred with your database. Please contact vBulletin Support for assistance. Module: install, Step 3 Database Error:1709
    Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.
    Query:

CREATE TABLE adminmessage ( adminmessageid INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, varname varchar(250) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', dismissable SMALLINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', script varchar(50) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', action varchar(20) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', execurl MEDIUMTEXT, method enum('get','post') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'post', dateline INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', status enum('undone','done','dismissed') NOT NULL default 'undone', statususerid INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', args MEDIUMTEXT, PRIMARY KEY (adminmessageid), KEY script_action (script, action), KEY varname (varname) ) ENGINE = InnoDB

Script: install
    Step: 3

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You will need to set innodb_large_prefix in your MySQL Configuration. Please see the documentation on this variable here: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5...b_large_prefix.

Upgrading to MySQL 5.7 or higher and not explicitly turning this value off will also resolve the issue.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tzan1970
      • Nov 2011
      • 6.X

I do not know much about MySQL
      how can i update

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by tzan1970
        I do not know much about MySQL
        how can i update
        This is something you would ask your host for assistance with.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• tzan1970
          • Nov 2011
          • 6.X

you describe me as a picture or video
          how can i do this update

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

The link I provided above tells you have to make changes to the MySQL Configuration. If you don't know how to use the server software, you should be using managed hosting plan where the provider will handle these changes.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tzan1970
              • Nov 2011
              • 6.X

Unfortunately the problem was not solved

Click image for larger version

Name:	6xobgupw.png
Views:	371
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	4394978
              Last edited by tzan1970; Wed 18 Jul '18, 10:56am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

This is the same error. The value above has not been set on your database. Until your server administrator sets the value and restarts the database server, the error will continue.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Gintama6888
                  • Apr 2020

I also seem to have same problem.
                  https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...l-wizard-error

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  You will need to set innodb_large_prefix in your MySQL Configuration. Please see the documentation on this variable here: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5...b_large_prefix.

Upgrading to MySQL 5.7 or higher and not explicitly turning this value off will also resolve the issue.
                  I've spoke to my website hosting service provider tech about "set innodb_large_prefix in your MySQL Configuration" but she wasn't sure and told me that level 2 tech support will get back to me tomorrow.

But I assume I should be able to change this myself on my cPanel.. (if I know what I'm doing)
                  This is the screenshot of my cPanel: https://imgur.com/a/jkjaeZm
                  Would this option be under "phpMyAdmin" or "MySQL Database" icons under "DATABASE" in the cPanel?

Thank you.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

You usually cannot change MySQL settings in cPanel. Unlike PHP, the entire server will share the same MySQL server. PHP is spawned on an as needed basis. Having multiple MySQL instances on a server will cause problems. Shared Hosting puts hundreds (if not thousands) of sites on a single server. Apache and PHP will take up few resources to support these sites. However, a single MySQL instance will eat up 80% or more of the entire server's CPU and Memory resources.

In traditional hosting, the only time a single server machine will have multiple instances of MySQL is with Virtual Private Servers where each site runs under its own Virtual Machine. With a VPS, a single machine is usually divided into dozens of sites, not thousands. With Cloud Hosting, the provider is able to split up database and web servers into many different virtual machine configurations and adjust the power available as needed.

It is probably easier to ask them to upgrade you to MySQL 5.7+ or MariaDB 10.4.3+. What would most likely happen with in that situation is that your hosting provider will migrate your site to a new server on their network. The newer hardware will have updated software that supports this functionality. Plus they can move your site easier than updating the value, restarting the server, and dealing with potential site breakage with other customers.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment