Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robomoth
    • Jun 2018
    • 5.3.x

[Bug / Issue] Message Center Moderation - pending posts redirects to forum home page

We are using vBulletin 5.4.2 and we've been having issues with moderating posts in the message center for a while, even with previous versions of vb5.

When a moderator or admin attempts to see the posts pending moderation within the Message Center Moderation option, the site immediately redirects to the forum home after trying to load the url of the pending posts: forum.com/privatemessage/pendingposts/5211/1

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-28 Message Center - Making Fun Forums(1).png Views:	1 Size:	28.6 KB ID:	4394029

This happens independently of the browser at use.
    The server is running Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS with the following configuration:
    • Apache v2.4.18
    • PHP 7.0.30-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
    • MariaDB: 10.0.34-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
    The apache .htaccess being used is the default provided by vb.
    I've tried reinstalling all the forum files, even launching a new server instance with the forum from scratch.

With a clean installation and no vb database backup loadad (strictly from scratch), there are no redirection issues when trying to moderate pending posts the same way.
    However, when I restored a backup from our running prod server (containing the posts pending moderation) the redirection issue came back exactly the same.
    I also tried to restore an older backup that had no posts pending moderation, and the issue did not reappear, giving me the understanding that the root cause is coming from data within those pending posts.

A moderator also confirmed that when he left posts with no moderation, as the queue increased, he was able to access the first page of the pending posts: /privatemessage/pendingposts/5211/1 but when changing to the next page /privatemessage/pendingposts/5211/2 he was immediately redirected back to the forum home page.

I did not found other users with this similar issue. Tried many maintenance options from the admincp like Clear System Cache or running Repair / Optimize Tables with no help.

So the only way the moderators can moderate the posts is by viewing all the latest topics and looking manually (which is horrible). However there always are 6 posts that can't be found from there, meaning that in the Message Center the Moderation number only decreases to 6 and we have no way of knowing what are those posts because of the redirection.

I would love to delve into the database to find and remove the 6 pending posts since clearly something there must be corrupted but I had no luck reaching such data since I couldn't figure which tables are involved.

If anyone could hint me as to where to look in the database or give me any helpful query to view such data I could investigate further.
    Of course, I'm assuming the culprit is database data from what I've tested but if there are any other tips or things I could try I would gladly appreciate.
    Let me know about any additional info I could provide for help.

Thanks!
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

We will need a copy of your database.

We have another customer with this issue as well and have not been able to determine the cause.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Travis Humphrey
      • Oct 2011

I'm the mod in this scenario. I was able to reduce the number of items to be moderated from 6 to 2 by filtering the moderation queue to only show "posts". This means that the 2 remaining items have to be visitor messages awaiting moderation. So, robomoth's question now is where to look in the db to find (and delete) visitor messages waiting for moderation.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

It would be better to fix the underlying issue but you can approve all unapproved items with this query:

Code:
        update node set approved=1 where approved=0
        Since the underlying issue isn't fixed, the problem will probably show up again.

Just deleting them can cause problems since there is an entire node chain in the closure table that can easily break and prevent access to Visitor Messages altogether.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• robomoth
          • Jun 2018
          • 5.3.x

Excellent! That actually did the trick (took some time to do the update)

Also, if this can help. Travis found that when we had more than a page of pending posts and could access Moderation, he selected filter by visitor messages and got this error message before the redirection:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image(1).png Views:	1 Size:	36.5 KB ID:	4394099

I have the result set of the pending messages that were corrupting before I updated the node table, I can send you that if it can be of help, let me know!

Thanks!
          Last edited by robomoth; Fri 29 Jun '18, 8:55am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

If the approved bit is set to 1, they shouldn't appear in the moderation page. The node table is the only table with this bit. I don't know why they are still showing. This is one of the reasons why I would have preferred to have a developer look at the database so we could have a proper fix.

We would need to see the entire JSON response from the moderator. They can see this by loading the page in Google Chrome with the Developer Tools open. Choosing the network tab and clicking on the last entry after the error occurs would be able to show the JSON response. It would be on the Response tab.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• robomoth
              • Jun 2018
              • 5.3.x

Sorry, I've edited my previous post clarifying the work around "fixed" it.
              I can send a database backup to a developer or setup a server with the forum in it's previous "broken" state (this will have to wait for Monday though).
              PM me in any case.

Comment