X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • susanje1119
    • Jan 2017
    • 5.2.x

Separating Usergroups

I did this in Vb4 without issue but can't seem to make it work in vb5. I have a site where I run user bootcamps and many times am running two at a time. I used to be able to separate them, no problem, in vb4. Now I can't seem to make it work and I don't know why. I thought that I could do it with channel and usergroup permissions but it's not working. I also was able to use passwords on forums in Vb4 but that feature seems to be no more.

I have a top level category Bootcamps. Under that it should be UserForum 1 and then all the forums under that forum for that usergroup. Then it should be UserForum 2 and when they log on they should only see their forums.

When I try to put in an upper level forum for the second one, it won't let me. Even though the instructions say
    If you want this to be a subforum of another forum, select that forum from this list. If not, select --Forum.

I don't want the new forum to be a subforum but there is no --Forum to select. If I try to select the UPPER (node 1) one it then allows the user in group 2 to see group 1's posts even though the channel permissions of the usergroup1 are set to no for usergroup2
    It doesn't work like that. The second group can either see ALL or NOTHING. I have their usergroup set to NO for all the UserForum1s but they can still see it when they log on. No idea what I am doing wrong. I've been at this for days. Help please.
    Last edited by susanje1119; Sun 24 Jun '18, 5:20am.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

It actually works exactly like it did in vBulletin 4.X.

Open the Admin CP go to Channel Management -> Channel Permissions.
    Scroll to "UserForum 1". Click "Deny All" to the right of this entry.
    Edit the usergroups that should have access and set their permissions properly.
    Scroll to UserForum 2". Click "Deny All" to the right of this entry.
    Edit the usergroups that should have access and set their permissions properly.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• susanje1119
      • Jan 2017
      • 5.2.x

I set up passwords in v4 and am not able to do that here. I used both permissions and passwords to ensure security. Also either group can see the postings of the other if they do a search. For example, each group has an Introduction string. Today a new person was searching for the Introductions for her group and ALL the Introductions of the other group came up. How is this possible? This DID NOT happen in v4 ever. I used that for years and never had that issue.

What to do about the Search issue? I don't even know how this is happening. The usergroup permissions are all set to no for the other group's channels. I don't know how individual posts are able to be seen. Can I just get rid of the search box?
      Last edited by susanje1119; Mon 25 Jun '18, 11:39am.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by susanje1119
        I set up passwords in v4 and am not able to do that here. I used both permissions and passwords to ensure security. Also either group can see the postings of the other if they do a search. For example, each group has an Introduction string. Today a new person was searching for the Introductions for her group and ALL the Introductions of the other group came up. How is this possible? This DID NOT happen in v4 ever. I used that for years and never had that issue.

What to do about the Search issue? I don't even know how this is happening. The usergroup permissions are all set to no for the other group's channels. I don't know how individual posts are able to be seen. Can I just get rid of the search box?
        If you have 'deny all' set, this should not happen.
        As long as the posts of the 'other' group are in that 'other' groups channel/forum, then any group without permission to see that channel won;'t see them, and should not see them in search results.

Make sure you have cleared the system under General Maintenance Tools.

Password protected forums are not a feature of vB5.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• susanje1119
          • Jan 2017
          • 5.2.x

Under general settings? I did that and did do DENY and both groups are telling me they can see the other.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Under general settings? I did that and did do DENY and both groups are telling me they can see the other.
            When you log in as a user assigned to one group do you see what is being reported?

We'll need a complete copy of your database then. We cannot recreate it on test installations. We also have permissions blocking channels on this site as well without issue. Permissions that were inherited during the upgrade from vBulletin 4.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• susanje1119
              • Jan 2017
              • 5.2.x

Is there a way to make each forum the top level forum? (the parent in channel management).

Comment

• susanje1119
                • Jan 2017
                • 5.2.x

I'm so sorry I purchased v5. Nothing like this every happened in v4. I also asked about the top level forum. When you click on ? it says put in the parent forum or if there is no parent put in --forum but I don't see an option for that. I've not been able to get each forum to the top level. Each appears to need to be a subforum of the top one. Could this be the issue?
                Last edited by susanje1119; Tue 26 Jun '18, 7:51am.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                  In Omnibus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You should be able to select "No Parent" in the drop-down menu as an option for each channel.
              • Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Is there a way to make each forum the top level forum? (the parent in channel management).
                Do you mean a category? We don't have the concept of a Top Level Forum. You have forums and categories.

If you set "Act as Channel (will act as Category if set to No) to No, then you will have a "top level forum". This behavior is unchanged from vBulletin 4.X. The only difference is that it says "Channel" instead of "Forum". That is if the forum is directly a child of the Forum channel. You can see this on the main page of this site with our "Top Level Forums"

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...