• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewSmithCWHI
    • Jul 2017
    • 5.2.x

Moderators can't delete post and ban user

Hello

We're running vBulletin 5.4.0. I don't know when, but at some point some of our moderators lost their ability to delete a post and ban a user.

Here are screenshots that one moderator made while trying it on a test post:

First is the thread as it loads up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_119897.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	4393537

Then he selects the post and clicks on the pull down menu on the right:

Name:	image_119895.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	4393539

Then he clicks on "delete posts" and this comes up:

Name:	image_119899.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	4393538

He clicks the options (which used to be labeled "spamomatic") to delete other posts and ban the user, then he clicks the blue button to proceed.

Name:	image_119896.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	4393534

Then this box pops up, confirming that he wants to ban the user. He types in a reason and clicks proceed.

Then he gets this error message:

Name:	image_119898.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	4393540

In Admin CP, "Administrator Permissions Manager" the user has all the permissions "yes". The primary usergroup for the user is "Moderators".

There are so many permissions i the "Usergroup Manager"/"Moderators" that I don't know what to look for. But "Can Delete Posts" is set to "yes".

Can anyone please help me figure out what the problem is?

The closest I could find myself is that it's possible that moderators aren't intended to be able to delete users by default. Is that the case? And if so, would you suggest that this permission be given to moderators or that the moderators be promoted to administrators?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
  • bootsie1
    • Jun 2017
    • 5.3.x

Go to channel managment select a channel and in the dropdown menu add moderator add the usersname then scroll down the page and change the setting as seen below

Name:	ban.png
Views:	325
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	4393542
    Cometbar

DartsLeague

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

Make sure you have "Can See Deletion Notices" turned on under "Forum Viewing Permissions"

Comment

• plongeur.com
        • Mar 2017
        • 5.2.x

hi AndrewSmithCWHI , quick question without any link to your issue (sorry about that) : how did you manage to insert ads beteween posts on your forum ?
        I am looking into a solution to do it and did not find anythin obvious...

Comment

• Mrs.T
          • Nov 2007
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by plongeur.com
          hi AndrewSmithCWHI , quick question without any link to your issue (sorry about that) : how did you manage to insert ads beteween posts on your forum ?
          I am looking into a solution to do it and did not find anythin obvious...
          Glenn Vergara has a free mod to insert ads between posts. It's brilliant, works on Cloud too, highly recommend it

Comment

• plongeur.com
            • Mar 2017
            • 5.2.x

Hi Mrs.T , you should have a look at AndrewSmithCWHI 's site.

The ad integration is way better as it is not limited to first and last post, and it also works on all pages without having to repeat the first post on them.

Comment

• AndrewSmithCWHI
              • Jul 2017
              • 5.2.x

Thanks for the suggestion bootsie1 - but I'm a bit wary of doing that given the number of channels. There are 13 moderators and 50 channels, that's a lot of clicking to fix every moderator on every channel.

If I go to channel management and select the user name from the dropdown for the top-most-level forum (where it says 13 in the following screenshot)

Name:	3.png
Views:	272
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	4393732
              Then I see the following permissions:

Name:	1.png
Views:	239
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	4393734

Name:	2.png
Views:	232
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	4393733

Does that mean that these permissions aren't inherited to sub-channels?

Is mine an unusual problem or is it unusual for moderators to have the power to ban users?

Comment

• AndrewSmithCWHI
                • Jul 2017
                • 5.2.x

Originally posted by In Omnibus
                Make sure you have "Can See Deletion Notices" turned on under "Forum Viewing Permissions"
                Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't find this permission. Where is "Forum Viewing Permissions"?

I went to "channel management"/"view permissions" and found "Can See Deletion Notices" in there, but in there it seems that every permission for every user for every channel is "no", which is certainly not true. I wonder if I'm clicking the wrong button somewhere...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Forum Viewing Permissions is one of the groups in the Channel Permissions page. If you look they are broken up into groups and each group has a header and a title.

If you want your moderators to be moderators in every channel then you should set them up as Super Moderators by placing them in the Super Moderator group.

You would edit individual moderator permissions under Channel Management -> Moderator Permissions.

Very rarely do sites like "Moderators" ban users. This is typically a job handled by Super Moderators or Administrators.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• AndrewSmithCWHI
                    • Jul 2017
                    • 5.2.x

Forum Viewing Permissions is one of the groups in the Channel Permissions page. If you look they are broken up into groups and each group has a header and a title.
                    Still couldn't find it, but doesn't matter:

Very rarely do sites like "Moderators" ban users. This is typically a job handled by Super Moderators or Administrators.
                    That's good to know and tells me what to do next - the appropriate moderators needed to be promoted.

Thanks for the explanation!

Comment