X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amonline
    • Feb 2011
    • 4.1.x

Members having hard time with playing MP3s

I have searched this forum, but there seems to be nothing on the subject of MP3 attachments. vB uses a fetch protocol. It is very confusing for my members, and even I cannot figure out how the hell it works. So, I have to assume I'm simply missing something.

Here's what I know... (PC/Firefox for this example)

1. Clicking on the actual attached file downloads an mp3 to the member's desktop - but there is no sign of it doing so.. no verification/warning/nothing. The member is not given a clue that it is happening. This can result in multiple clicks (thinking nothing is happening) and multiple downloads - making the member give up, only to find later when they close their browser their desktop is covered with mp3s.

2. Clicking on an "inserted" mp3 results in the opening of the home domain page, in another tab/window, and nothing else - making the member give up.

3. Right-clicking an "inserted" mp3 and choosing to "save the file/link as" results in the member being shown an randomly named HTML file - with which they can do nothing with. (Mac users have figured out this can be renamed and played.) This HTML file should actually be an mp3. (?)

4. Any of the above on Mac is similar, or worse.

Testing this in IE seems to be the same result. (except, you actually get a prompt to save at the bottom of IE, where as in Firefox you get no info/prompt.

So, the question is, am I missing something in my setup to make this easier on my members?? Is this simply how vB works with mp3s?? It's just confusing as hell for everyone. Can I improve all this??

Thanks in advance.

[edit] I'd prefer they be able to simply play the mp3 in the browser... same tab or another doesn't matter. (FYI.. I'm on a cloud account, if there is some code trick)
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

What you're describing here is behaviour that is controlled by the browser, rather than the software.

vBulletin has no built in facility to stream MP3's within a post, if you attach an MP3 than it will behave like any other non-image attachment and download according to the user's browser configuration. Some browsers will recognise the file type and immediately play it, others will store it somewhere to be played later. Where it is stored is generally configurable in the browser.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

So.. Using vBulletins pretty much infinite capabilities of customization this takes about 5 minutes to configure and set up. I'll outline the steps here.

First add MP3 as an extension under "Attachments -> Attachment Type Manager". extension mp3, bytes - 5000000, mimetype - audio/mpeg
      Then spend several minutes finding the perfect test song. Something non-descript, royalty free, and okay to listen to. After a few samples, I found my song and headed back to my site.
      Next I went to "Custom BBCodes -> Add New BBCode". I used these values:
      • Title: audio
      • Tag Name: audio
      • Replacement:
        Code:
        	<audio controls src="{param}">
        	Your browser does not support the <code>audio</code> element.
        	</audio>
      • Example: [audio]/pathtomy/music.mp3[/audio]
      • Disable Automatic Link Parsing Within This BB Code should be set to No.

Then I went to my forum and uploaded the MP3 as an attachment to a post. Since it is a cloud site, I need to save the post to get a valid URL. So I did. After that, I edited the post and added my bbcode tag. The result is:
      https://forums.rabidbadger.io/rabidb...771-audio-test
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

I created something similar but for video and it automatically transforms a video attachment into a video player and it removes the corresponding video link in the Attached Files section. The same can be done for audio.

Please see the screencast video below.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ssfnl
          So I've been struggling with this for a while now. I have set the BBCode according to your instructions, and it works fine. What I would like to do ois create a post, use the audio BBCode,upload a file and then inserty it in between the tags. However, when I insert it, I would like to see the link to the file instead of the titel of the link. I could copy the url from the inserted file itself and paste it. But is there a way to set up this proces to have the url copied in between the tags?

It would be even better to simply upload an MP3 file and have the forumsoftware detect the file and include the tags automatically. Is this an option?
          Needs code to work like the one that vbmod.rocks has in the post above.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• may
            • Sep 2001
            • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            So.. Using vBulletins pretty much infinite capabilities of customization this takes about 5 minutes to configure and set up. I'll outline the steps here.
            Then I went to my forum and uploaded the MP3 as an attachment to a post. Since it is a cloud site, I need to save the post to get a valid URL. So I did. After that, I edited the post and added my bbcode tag. The result is:
            https://forums.rabidbadger.io/rabidb...771-audio-test
            That looks good Wayne. Isn't it possible to make it usable for the new versions of vB - we are two years later?
            If there is no security risk wouldn't it be nice? It would insert the functionality like telegram or similar applications if special usergroups could insert mp3 by their own.

Comment